USB Type C PCIe Card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 3096, Oct 20, 2015.

1. 3096 macrumors newbie

I own a Mac Pro but my model does not have a USB 3.0 port. I feel really inconvenient because USB 2.0 is so below standard now. However, my phone uses USB 3.1 Type C, which is clearly where the future is heading towards. So I want to skip USB 3.0 to Type C, just so that I am better prepared. Plus, I get all benefits from Type C and I can just buy an adapter for my old USB 3.0 devices.

A problem is that I can't really find any card that I can buy... There are very few PCIe cards for Type C right now, and I don't know if they would work with a Mac Pro...

Does anyone has a similar experience that can help me out?

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

The USB 3.1 Type A and probably C cards (both use the same controllers) currently available work as a 3.0 device in Yosemite, but they do not work at all in El Capitan 10.11 (the card installs but does not connect to any USB device). They do work under Windows naturally.

If the cards did work correctly and at full 10gbits speed, you don't need a Type C Port anyway because there are Type C to Type A cables.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

There's a USB 3.1 thread floating around, but I don't think anyone knows more about this than SoyCapitan.

4. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

There's about 3 others with the same card but they just haven't been talking about it.

5. neomorpheus macrumors member

If my current experience with a Renesas/NEC card is the same, any driver for previous OSX version wont work.