USB Type-C to Micro-B 3.1 Cable: Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by esskay, Aug 19, 2017.

1. esskay macrumors 6502

I got a new MBPr15tb. I have several USB 3 portable hard drives which have USB Micro-B connectors on them. So I need USB Type-C to Micro-B 3.1 cables to connect them directly.

Example: AmazonBasics cable https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Type-C-Micro-B-Gen2-Cable/dp/B01GGKYIHS

I've read about the inconsistent quality of USB-C cables out there, and found that Google Engineer Benson Leung is renowned for his USB-C cable testing.

Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have tested any Type-C to Micro-B cables.

Does anyone know of a specific cable like this that's been tested to similar standards as Benson Leung is known for?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I just looked at that cable for the same usage but ended up getting the ones from Cable Matters.
    As for the Benson Leung style reviews I think the biggest concern there is power transmission and being sure that whatever you're hooking up via USB-C doesn't try to demand too much power and end up damaging your ports. I could be wrong but I don't think that applies so much in our cases.

3. esskay thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input!

Why did you end up choosing the Cable Matters cable? I noticed that the AmazonBasics has the USB-IF certification while it wasn't clear if the CableMatters does.

Wirecutters also had recommendations on a bunch of USB C cable types -- except for micro-B cables... :( They cited some data rate testing too; despite the spec, there seemed to be variation on that.

4. aldenh, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

aldenh macrumors newbie

I ordered one on amazon from cablecreations has pretty good reviews and Benson Leung left a review too so go trough it. Unfortunately didn't have time to test it myself. Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012...lecreation&dpPl=1&dpID=31fiSpVay3L&ref=plSrch

5. esskay thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at Benson's review shown there, and he actually reviewed the adapter with a female socket, not the cable with male ends, which is what I'm seeking. Not sure how many Amazon listings seem to morph a bit, where past reviews aren't necessarily exactly aligned with the current product listings.

I'm not sure whether Brandon's recommendations can be safely extrapolated to other products from the same brand.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2017 ---
    BTW, one advantage I noticed on the Cable Matters product is a lifetime warranty, whereas Amazon Basics is only one year.