Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Do you think Apple really would replace all ports with USB type C across their entire notebook range? I.e. No more sd card slot, usb, hdmi or thunderbolt.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Removing all those ports wouldn't exactly make the Macbook "Pro" anymore

But Apple are known for doing things like this to their products. They are the company that tells consumers what they want, not the other way around.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
No, if Apple didn't invent it, they aren't about to use it. The only exception would be if ignoring it impacted sales. Apple makes vast amounts of money by forcing people to live in a proprietary environment if they want the Apple logo. It's just part of the Apple premium priced experience. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you think Apple really would replace all ports with USB type C across their entire notebook range?

You mean remove thunderbolt, the technology that only apple is using and they're trying to get other's to adopt? No, I don't see apple abandoning Thunderbolt so soon.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
You mean remove thunderbolt, the technology that only apple is using and they're trying to get other's to adopt? No, I don't see apple abandoning Thunderbolt so soon.

I agree. I think it will be a USB-C and thunderbolt configuration.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But they're likely to remove sd card reader, hdmi and usb?
Who says they're likely to remove those?

Can USB C double as a HDMI port?

Removing distinct ports that are used for different purposes just for a USB port makes absolutely no sense imo.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013

Removing distinct ports that are used for different purposes just for a USB port makes absolutely no sense imo.

Some sites are claiming they could do that for both Mbp and mba to reduce thickness.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Some sites are claiming they could do that for both Mbp and mba to reduce thickness.

And thus reduce the overall usefulness of the laptop. Yes, I've seen some of the rumors about apple producing a 12" MBA with no ports or maybe just a USB-C port. That doesn't mean apple is about to abandon all ports on all their laptops in lieu of a USB-C port.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010

Yup, I think all the other ports will be intact. I think it is more likely USB-C replaces USB 3 and will also do charging.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
No, if Apple didn't invent it, they aren't about to use it. The only exception would be if ignoring it impacted sales. Apple makes vast amounts of money by forcing people to live in a proprietary environment if they want the Apple logo. It's just part of the Apple premium priced experience. :)

Apple has just one proprietary connector - Lightning. Before that the 30 pin iPod connector was proprietary. Everything else since ADB has been industry standard.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Apple has just one proprietary connector - Lightning. Before that the 30 pin iPod connector was proprietary. Everything else since ADB has been industry standard.

My post didn't say anything limiting "proprietary" to cables only. Apple's entire business model is built on maintaining the proprietary system that is Apple's ecosystem. All specifically designed to capture and lock in customers. It's brilliant and other than limiting what one can do, it works OK. Its expensive and Apple's highly successful because of it.

I pay the premium, use the products, and the rest takes care of itself.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
My post didn't say anything limiting "proprietary" to cables only. Apple's entire business model is built on maintaining the proprietary system that is Apple's ecosystem. All specifically designed to capture and lock in customers. It's brilliant and other than limiting what one can do, it works OK. Its expensive and Apple's highly successful because of it.

I pay the premium, use the products, and the rest takes care of itself.

Please name some of these proprietary technologies. Certainly nothing is proprietary about the CPUs, the GPUs, the hard drives, the SSDs, the RAM, the networking, the display interfaces, the wifi. I have no idea what you're talking about that could be said to be proprietary.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Please name some of these proprietary technologies. Certainly nothing is proprietary about the CPUs, the GPUs, the hard drives, the SSDs, the RAM, the networking, the display interfaces, the wifi. I have no idea what you're talking about that could be said to be proprietary.
Google is available to everyone. It's not my job to educate anyone on the history and current practices of Apple. The fact that you want to argue is very revealing.

Because of the proprietary lock in of Apple's system I've literally made millions of dollars. Beyond my wildest dreams, I didn't expect the large quantities of stock purchased at just under $20 per share would net me millions a couple of decades later. Thank$ Apple :)

nirvanemesis

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Google is available to everyone. It's not my job to educate anyone on the history and current practices of Apple. The fact that you want to argue is very revealing.

Because of the proprietary lock in of Apple's system I've literally made millions of dollars. Beyond my wildest dreams, I didn't expect the large quantities of stock purchased at just under $20 per share would net me millions a couple of decades later. Thank$ Apple :)

It's true that there's some proprietary software only for Mac like Handoff and Continuity and even OS X, but there's not much hardware that locks you into the ecosystem.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

That's a cop out. You made the claim. Why would you be afraid to back up your assertion with evidence? As the post above says, there is very little proprietary hardware in Apple products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.