USB/USBc/HMDI-adapter - USBc won't transmit data

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mac32, May 23, 2016.

1. Mac32 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I have a 2016 MacBook, and want to use this machine for playing my iTunes library (USB sound card + external HD/hard drive). I bought Apple's USB/USBc/HDMI-adapter, but if I connect an external HD to the USBc adapter port nothing happens. I have to connect the HD directly into the MacBook's USBc port, for my MacBook to find the HD.

Can anyone confirm if this is a limitation of the USBc AV multi-adapter, or do I have a faulty unit? If it's the former, then it's ridiculous that such an expensive adapter has a USBc connection only for power, not data.

Thanks.

2. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

The USB C port on the multiport adapter is only for charging the Macbook while the adapter is plugged in. According to Apple it won't transmit data.

I want to say the OWC USB-C dock has USB C data ports as well as a bunch of other ports including audio.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yup, power only.

To the best of my knowledge there are no compact hubs that have a usb-c port that can do double duty like this.

4. Mac32, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016

Mac32 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, thanks. That is disappointing. I called Apple's phone line, and the support guy thought my adapter was defect. Clearly Apple is misleading the buyer here, by not clearly stating this basic limitation of their expensive product. I mean, the guy working on the technical support line didn't know about this.

Thanks for the tip about the OWC USB-C dock.