USB VIDEO WITH iMAC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AFMRPCUSER, Sep 20, 2011.

1. AFMRPCUSER macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

I trust that I have chosen the correct sub-forum for my topic. I unpacked a nice USB camera a few days ago and thought I might try it out with my iMAC. I searched the WWW for some basic software and as usual, found trolling sites just chomping at the bit to sell me some wizbang application. Hey! I'm at the experimentation stage now, I want to see if I can use this USB camera to try some Video, and possible Capture and maybe even some still images. Anyone here know of a basic application that I can use with this iMac? Suggestions, Information and hints welcomed and expected. :confused:

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Have you tried iMovie (it comes pre-installed on your Mac)?

Lethal

3. AFMRPCUSER thread starter macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

No, I have not and now that you mention it, there must be a way to input video from a camera besides the Firewire... the USB would logically be the next choice. Thanks for the tip.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I'm assuming you have a solid state (memory card and/or hard drive based) camcorder. Practically all of these transfer video over USB and not FireWire. iMovie is compatible with most solid state camcorders over USB. It should be plug-and-play.

As far as camcorders are concerned, FireWire is typically associated with tape-based camcorders.

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

What USB camera?