USB Wall Charger (non-Apple) for Ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Macfisto, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Macfisto macrumors member

Can I plug the Apple USB cable into non-Apple USB wall charger and make it work…and not damage the Ipod?

In other word, if a wall charger has an entry for a USB, should any USB cable work the same/correctly?

I was going to buy the Energizer Duo Wall Charger for my AAA rechargeable batteries and it suddenly dawned on me that if it’s meant to be used with a USB cable, that I could use the USB cable connected to my Ipod (Touch) to charge the Ipod as well.

If any issues, what should I be looking for? The voltage? It’s just that I am wondering if USB cables themselves would treat the “power” differently or all the same (and therefore should work).

Any ideas? People with actual knowledge of chargers/power is preferred (please state so) but I welcome ideas/opinions.

Thanks

2. kroeks macrumors regular

works for me
    i have this no-titled wall charger for my ipod

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly, but I use the USB ports on this to charge my iPods.

4. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. You are using a non-Apple product to charge your Ipod and it's not specifically designed for Ipods.

So any USB wall adapter should work for a USB cable (and therefore the Ipod cable) to charge any unit. I am correct in my assumption? I just want to make sure that I don't damage the Ipod and/or battery by using a wall adapter that could be too "strong" or not enough "strong" for the Ipod.

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yes, USB is a pretty universal standard, so it should work fine.

The only place you might have run into trouble is if you were trying to power a USB hard drive or burner, which requires more power than a typical device like a phone or a mouse. But an iPod, you're fine.

6. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member