USB Wifi Adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ElectricMan5, May 10, 2009.

1. ElectricMan5 macrumors regular

I have the Airport Extreme. Would I be able to use this to get internet onto laptops that are compatible with the device?

http://www.amazon.com/IEEE802-11n-W...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242011733&sr=8-10

I have an old PC that doesn't have a built-in wifi chip or adapter, so I want a cheap USB adapter that can receive wifi. I don't know if I can use this with my airport extreme, or if it's only for LAN connections.

Thanks!

2. ElectricMan5 thread starter macrumors regular

3. kwanzaa macrumors newbie

No Usb Wi-fi

i strongly suggest not getting usb wi-fi sticks, they tend to overheat and stop working very easily ive had one on my old clamshell ibook that i needed to put in a freezer and my brotherin law has one that works for a few minutes then stops, if u still think u wanna try them the second one seems good

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 Wifi through USB is usually never a good result.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Get something from

Linksys
    D-Link
    Belkin

don't get netgear or unknown brands.
    What you listed are unknown brands.

6. ElectricMan5 thread starter macrumors regular

K. But all of the USB adapters will allow me to get internet, right? I know you're saying it's a bad idea, but it's the only way I'll be able to get internet on this computer. It'll be handy to have around, also.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...USB wifi works fine...this is being typed on an old Toshiba 1905-s303 using a Buffalo Nfiniti USB antena...its connected to my AEBS sim dual band router and I get 104 - 130 mbps depending on the other conditions around the house and what other wireless devices are in use at the time...just make sure your USB adapter can do the wireless encryption that you set your network up for as some of the cheaper adapters won't do WPA/WPA2...

8. kwanzaa macrumors newbie

Pci

Btw where i used to work we used to use a lot of PCI wireless products, they wer not impressive but they work, they also had mac drivers on their site but the software that came bundled wasnt that simple.