USB Wifi Drives->Camera Connection Kit?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by bluedog3401, Aug 12, 2010.

1. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Anyone have one of those USB dongles that connect to an external drive to allow wireless access to the drive?

If you have one and could see if its accessible via iFile (available via Cydia) when you plug it into the USB adapter from the Camera Connection Kit, it would be great to hear your results.

Right now there's another thread regarding video files and playback from SD media using the kit, but I think this could apply to other uses and files.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=989675

I'm hoping someone can work this out. I'm guessing it would need power via an external source since you won't be getting USB power (and I've not actually used one of these wifi drive adapters before). This would be the same as using the USB connector to the drive but not requiring the 'wire' to get your files.

2. 3282868 macrumors 603

I have used iFile with the USB camera adapter. For USB drives you will need to get a split USB cable, one connection to the iPad, one for power. I have connected iPods to my iPad and did not need to connect it to a power source, which allowed me to use my iPod as an external hard drive by creating folders and dragging and dropping files onto the iPod.

Not sure about a wireless USB dongle (a bit confused as to what you're asking there). If you're asking about using a USB wireless dongle to create an AdHoc system between devices (creating a wireless connection to a HDD for example to communicate directly to the iPad), I do not believe that is possible. Besides, with the power drain, it would be easier to connect directly, especially for large file transfers.

You can use Netatalk. Install it on your iPad or iPhone, and you will be able to access your iDevice wirelessly through the Finder on your Mac OS X or Windows OS machine.

3. bluedog3401 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess a direct connection is probably the best choice since you already need power for most drives (you iPod observation excluded).

I was just looking for an external sourced for getting data into or reading directly from media without syncing via iTunes.

Hoping someone could try the ad-hoc wifi drive to iPad, it probably makes more sense to use SD cards when traveling or needing a no-power solution or a directly plugged in via USB external HD and external power source.