USB wired to wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Brannyh, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Brannyh macrumors member

I was wondering if I can make a wired USB to wireless, Bluetooth whatever. I want to use my old G3 mice and keyboard with my new mac mini but I want the keyboard and mice to be wireless!

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no easy way to do this. Unless you're good with electronics and modding things. It cannot be done by you. In fact I've never even heard of it being done by anyone.

3. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

With the keyboard, it should be relatively easy (that is, compared to your other options) to gut them both and put the bluetooth pieces back into the G3 keyboard. With the mouse, on the other hand, you're probably a bit more limited.

I'm going to assume you're taking about the Apple Pro Mouse instead of the Apple USB Mouse (hockey puck), since nobody would want the latter. I'd really recommend picking up an "Apple Wireless Mouse", later known as the Mighty Mouse, I believe. It's the Apple Pro Mouse's direct successor, basically the same form factor with wireless innards. A very quick Googling looks like you're going to be eat a $125 bill for that, which leads me to suggest a Magic Mouse.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Oof, $125 is ridiculous. That's nearly twice what they retailed for. I like my mighty mouse, but I have heard that many people didn't find it that great, so I think I would honestly suggest a non-apple mouse, such as a logitech.

5. Brannyh thread starter macrumors member

Ok....

Im suprized that there isn't a wireless USB hub or one piece you plug into the computer and the other on the other end of the USB!

6. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

http://www.google.com/products?q=apple+mighty+mouse+wireless

It's basically the Pro Mouse minus the cable (there was a wired version), plus a scroll wheel, plus three buttons. It can sense which side you click on, and the side buttons are also buttons, but it day to day use it's probably what you're looking for. :)

7. Brannyh thread starter macrumors member

hockey puck

I want color and an apple mouse so yes the hockey puck one and the keyboard (lime colored if it matters)

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no way you're going to cram two AA batteries and a Bluetooth board in a hockey puck mouse. There is just no room in those things.

9. Brannyh thread starter macrumors member

Wait

I don't want the MOUSE to be wireless that would just be stupid. I want a wireless USB hub to plug them in to.

Sorry for the confusion!

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Then how will they be powered? Batteries in the hub or a mains power plug?

11. Brannyh thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping

I was hoping that there was a hub i could plug in to my power strip but batteries are ok i guess....

12. Brannyh thread starter macrumors member

Im an apple fanboy so that would be a no! I already have my Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse, but I would die before that touches one of my USB ports!

13. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

I don't mean to sound condescending, but have you used a hockey puck mouse? You may be the first person I've ever met who likes them.

14. Brannyh thread starter macrumors member

haha!

I suffer for fashion, so i will suffer for my mouse to be fashionable! :D

15. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Then I suppose the question we've arrived at is why you want to add a wireless USB hub to a wired mouse? The solution seems to be adding a USB extension cable and use the mouse wired.

16. Brannyh thread starter macrumors member

My Mac mini is plugged into my TV and my desk which is on the other side of the room, I want to set the mouse and keyboard on but I don't want to run a USB wire over my rug forcing people to do the limbo to get by! But it seems to be impossible at the moment :(