USB Wireless adaptor opinions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Flexible Head, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Flexible Head macrumors newbie

Hi there.

I need one of those USB things to allow me to pick up Wireless internet on a G3 iMac. Just about to move to a new flat where BT wireless broadband is already set up (with a BT router). Any recommendations? Speak slowly...

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Personally, I'd avoid them. USb adaptors require drivers. Most brands don't offer mac drivers, especially for older mac operating systems. if you are going to buy one, check on the driver status first.

A far better choice in my opinion is a ethernet based wireless adaptor. The disadvantage is that most require a separate wall outlet to plug into (macsense makes one that gets its power through USB). Advantages are that they don't require any drivers and will work with any OS, so they are more reliable. I've had great success with my linksys wet11 (now upgraded to the wet54 for "g" compatibility) and dlink, macsense and belkin all make similar adaptors (sometimes called game adaptors). They do tend to be a bit mroe expensive though.

3. Flexible Head thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - good advice! Can you post a couple of links for the products you're specifically talking about?

Cheers