USB Wireless Keys that work with Mac Pro (Intel 2.0Ghz)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by uMac, Jun 12, 2008.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

My Mac Pro does not have wireless and it needs it, I'm looking into getting airport card for it, however that will take some time and I need to be on the internet now.

I'm thinking a wireless key would be useful as once I'm finished with it (as I get airport) I will give it to my brother who has a desktop without wireless.

Which brand of key works with the Mac Pros reliably.

2. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I used a Dlink DWL-G122 (IIRC) and while it works very well and fast for most of the time, the driver caused very very very annoying random kernel panics on my machine (OS X 10.5).

Needless to say that under Bootcamp everything works flawlessly.

Therefore this is a Wireless key I would NOT recommend, unless there is a driver update which resolves these problems or you want to use it mainly in Windows...

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

^^ i agree, i WOULD NOT recommend anything DLINK for wireless peripherals. infact i wouldnt recommend anything wireless, its quite slow, whats wrong with good old fashion cable?

4. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

hehe, that's what I thought, too. Now my mac is connected with a Gigabit Link to other machines and it's quite funny that the transfer speed of the HD is slower than the cable capacity.
    You can browse through the network and it's fast as it is with an internal drive...

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup thats why i just cabled up my whole house :):) best decision i ever made, im hitting about 30-40mbps, which isnt THAT fast but its way better that the 2mbps i was getting with 'g'.

i need to get an actual router, atm im just using TC and that is extremely slow haha.

6. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Wired is of course the first choice, but it is not possible in this case, that is why I am looking into a wireless option.

Could I use an Airport Express (Plug into Outlet) for this task?

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Technically USB WLAN devices are not classified as keys.

8. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

WLAN adapter using the usb. It looks like a key.