USB wireless mouse stops working when MBP is plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmepretty, Jul 8, 2010.

1. macmepretty macrumors newbie

macmepretty

The usb wireless mouse (microsoft wireless mobile mouse 3000) will work perfectly fine until I plug my notebook in. Does anyone have any insight as to why?

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

USB Wireless Mouse? So does that mean the mouse has a little dongle that plugs into the side of the notebook?

3. macmepretty thread starter macrumors newbie

macmepretty

Yes and FYI it hates being on the other side of the computer since I am right handed.

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Okay. Could you try the following? With your MBP power adapter plugged in and the mouse dongle plugged in, open System Profiler (it's in /Applications/Utilities/) and see if the mouse dongle shows up under the USB section?

5. macmepretty thread starter macrumors newbie

macmepretty

Yeah it shows up but theres a light on the receiver that is blinking instead of staying constant. I've tried reconnecting it and stuff but the mouse just doesn't move where I tell it to unless the power cord is unplugged. And I dont have the cord anywhere near the receiver.

6. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

That's quite strange... I don't know for sure what would be causing that, but maybe when you plugin the power adapter, too much voltage is being sent to the USB port? It's usually around five volts, but perhaps something is wrong with your logic board. Have you had any troubles with other USB peripherals?

7. macmepretty thread starter macrumors newbie

macmepretty

Not that I know of. I just got it Friday and the usb hub that I have at home works. And at work I'm using a wired usb mouse now and it's just fine.

You think a bluetooth mouse would work better? Someone here has a magic mouse that works pretty well but I need 2 buttons lol.

8. Tim018 macrumors regular

Heres a test...

plug in a usb flash drive (or anything usb that matter) into that same port while its unplugged and then plug it in and see if the same thing happens. perhaps that usb port doesnt work all together when its plugged in? if so id say its a logic board issue like mathcolo said

9. macmepretty thread starter macrumors newbie

macmepretty

Thanks guys but it has to be the mouse. I just tried a co workers and it works perfectly. I don't understand but whatever. I tried the test and everything works. I had a flashdrive in one port and a hub with 2 things plugged in (even tried the mouse in the hub and it didn't work either) and it's all working fine. Stupid microsoft.