USB3 Hub for CalDigit FASTA-6GU3

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cbt3, May 16, 2013.

1. cbt3 macrumors member

I have a CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 in my :apple:Mac Pro 4,1 and I want a usb hub so I don't need to reach under my desk to plug stuff in. I tried to use the Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 4-Port Hub Ultra Slim and just plugging in it caused a kernel panic. The CalDigit card works well when just plugging drives in directly, but the hub seemed to be causing the problem. (or at least the card didn't like it). Has anyone with this CalDigit card used a good USB3.0 hub with any success?

2. bsbeamer macrumors 6502

Personally have not tried a USB3 hub, but know others have had issues. Would using longer cables work as a solution? That's what I do with my machine and it works great for fast & easy access for both ports.

3. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

I don't recall seeing a report of any USB3 hubs working with any of the USB3 cards for the Mac Pro. The one that I bought (cheap noname from Amazon) certainly didn't but at least I didn't get a kernel panic.

4. cbt3 thread starter macrumors member

I have one long cable so I can use one at a time, although being able to have a hub for 2 would be nice, plus I could put a usb2 thumb drive in it also, if it won't work, I can deal with it, as long as I get the speed, (which I am) it's all good.

5. bsbeamer macrumors 6502

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Well that would have been nice to read before wasting my money on the usb3 hubs I bought or the card itself for that matter.

7. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Note the two hubs in the lower right part of the picture. They're both USB 3 hubs and they work just fine. But I'm not using the CalDigit card.

Attached Files:

8. ender78 macrumors 6502

Which card and hubs are you using?

9. stevedusa macrumors regular

I have the EXACT same setup, PK all the time when the hub is hooked up to the controller card.

eMailed CalDigit, their answer was the card was not tested for anything else but storage devices.

So I returned the hub and just use extra long USB cords.

10. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Outlined in this thread. Long read, but worth it for anyone trying to add USB 3 to a Mac Pro.

jas

11. spookybathtub macrumors newbie

I had the same issue. CalDigit support advised me that the FASTA-6GU3 card does not support any hubs because it uses an older chip. They will be releasing a new card that works with hubs in 2014.

12. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Ain't that special be a cold day in hell before I pay again for a feature that should have been included in what I originally bought. BTW shockingly enough it works fine on Mavericks.

13. spookybathtub macrumors newbie

Interesting. Can you tell me exactly which hub you're using successfully, and is it a real Mac Pro?

14. alexofindy macrumors newbie

Same issue. I installed the caldigit card in my MacPro 3.1; card seems to work, but when I attached a USB3 hub, the system kernel panics on boot up.

The card is still a lot better than nothing, though I haven't put it through it's paces yet.

15. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

16. pprior macrumors 65816

17. MacInMotion macrumors newbie

And indeed they did: the CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro has full USB support. The older card (without the "Pro") only supports connecting storage devices to it.

18. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Damn! That's quite an upgrade! "REAL" USB3 without the speed issues and an additional 2x internal SATA plus bootable! This is the holy grail card for MP users!

19. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Another good option is the Inateck USB 3 4-port card for Mac Pro. http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Por...id=1398639724&sr=1-1&keywords=inateck+usb+3.0

The Inateck also supports other USB devices like printers, cameras etc aside from storage devices. Though it does not offer eSata ports, it's priced at $26.99 makes it appealing for users.