USB3 Network adapters around?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by d3l, Jun 19, 2012.

1. d3l macrumors newbie

Hello,

Just about to order a new MBA and only one problem with it. I need to have both gigagit E and external monitor connected at the same time. Only way to do this atm is having a cinema display connected, right?

Perfect thing for me would be usb3 adapter so my tbolt would be free. Is there any around that are also 10.7 compatible?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've not seen any released yet.

3. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

About a year ago I was after a USB to Ethernet adapter and looking into 3rd party options, after trying two different one's I just went for the Apple one.

Relying on 3rd parties to update their drivers is a nightmare.

4. richardabrams macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. In fact worse, in that I'd like two monitors. It's such a shame they didn't put a 2nd thunderbolt on it.

Anyway, the best solution I've found for the ethernet is to line Apple's pockets yet again for the new airport express wireless access point. Id does dual band wifi (5ghz and 2.4ghz) at the same time. You should be able to get 300mb on wifi.

5. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

Thunderbolt allows you to daisy chain devices so I dont see why you can't run 2 monitors with 1 TB port.

6. theluggage macrumors 68030

At the moment. The Belkin Thunderbolt dock should also do the trick, but it's not out yet.

Not a serious suggestion: but you could get one of these and put an ethernet card in: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresschassis.html. Of course, the cost would be astronomical just to add ethernet (but if you wanted a fibre channel or 10GB ethernet card on your laptop it would be a revolutionary idea).

Last time I googled for USB3-to-Ethernet there was a Far East firm offering the chip to hardware makers but no actual products.

I think the need for Gigabit Ethernet is one of the reasons for going for a MacBook Pro (the 'classics' have it built in, the 'retina' has 2 TB ports and a HDMI for an external monitor)

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Not everyone wants to use Apple Thunderbolt Displays.

8. richardabrams macrumors newbie

I'm right in saying a TB display it about £800. That's out my league. I just want to plug in two monitors. It's bothering me quite a bit....been thinking about returning the mba, but inclined to put up with it. The pro is too heavy for me.

I bought a usb 2.0 video card. It works but it's awful in osx. Weirdly it's pretty good when I boot W7 from bootcamp :-(

9. richardabrams macrumors newbie

Just read that the Belkin Dock that's coming out has HDMI out and thunderbolt pass thru which I assume I could plug a minidisplay adapter into. Only $299 tho :eek:

10. d3l thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I thought, aaaargh so very annoying but I quess it could be worse :)

Pretty sure there's gonna be gigabit usb adapters out soon as I think im not the only one with the problem.

Apple display is waaaaay too expensive and I allready got a really nice one, the belkin hub is pretty much the same thing. 300 is just takin the piss.

11. richardabrams macrumors newbie

It's actually $400 for the Belkin. It's robbery. I hope more accessories come soon