USB3 on powermac dual G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bjewett, Mar 9, 2013.

1. bjewett macrumors member

I'm writing you all to ask about USB3 on G5s. I did check prior posts, which mostly said no way. However, on macsales.com there are multiple options for PCI-e cards that support USB3 on G5s (on late model G5s running 10.5.8), e.g.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/U3HOSTADPTR/

I own an old but working-flawlessly dual-2.3 late-2005 PMG5.

The PMG5 is presumably v1 PCI-e and I don't know what the peak speed, if it works under OS 10.5.8, could be achieved (probably 3 Gb/s). I'm trying to do better than FW800, and I'd just as soon skip eSATA.

To those 'buy a new mac' questions, I own a retina MBP at work and i5 MBP at home. But USB3 would be a nice addition to the MBP.

Anyone try this? As I understand it FW### is DMA and USB is not ,so even if it works it may drag down the processor - but I'd like the option for moving large-ish (100s GB, not TBs) files around.

Thanks for any comments.

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

3. bjewett thread starter macrumors member

... but is dual-2.3 PMG5 PCIe 1 or 2.0?

That may be - but I think (am having hard time confirming either way..) that late-2005 PMG5 dual-2.3 is PCIe v1, not 2.0.

There are comments on OWC site that question the USB3 PCIe offerings, which would confirm what you said. I'll ask OWC to ask their vendors to check it (again). Thanks -

Anyone else?

4. bjewett thread starter macrumors member

Better not...

I checked with OWC (macsales.com) tech support (live chat). They recommended against using this card in the late 2005 G5.

Guess that leaves eSATA.

Hoping for something inspired in the 2013 Mac Pro...