Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I bought a Toshiba 1TB external HDD for time machine on my old iMac. Ran like a champ for me, for about a month now. I just bought a new 2012 baseline Macbook Pro, and went to use the external to transfer some data between my Macs. The Toshiba, as advertised, is USB2 and USB3 compatible. Obviously, the USB2 functionality has been proven for over a months with my 2009 iMac.

But plug it into the 2012 Macbook Pro's USB3/2 ports, and nothing happens. The drive never shows up. The indicating light on the drive, normally white when all is good, lights up blue, and stays there.

I did some quick research, and it seems like this problem wasn't just happening to me. In fact, the way I fixed the problem, is by using my Kindle cable, which is a micro USB to USB2 cable. It plugs into a portion of the port on my Toshiba drive (wait, what?) and the other into the USB on my Macbook, BAM! Drive shows up, data transfers, all is good. At those snappy USB2 speeds we're all used to. Where's my USB3 transfer rates? What gives?

My question is, are others out there having issues with USB3 functionality in the new family of Macbook Pros? Or is it the Toshiba HDD?

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.