USB3 to gigabit ethernet speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JonoX, Sep 21, 2017.

1. JonoX macrumors member

I'm using a USB3 to gigabit ethernet adapter with my MacBook 2016 m3 and just recently had gigabit Internet installed.

Testing with various speed test sites the most I am achieving is 500-560mbits down. Now don't get me wrong - this is incredible speed - but I'd like to hit 850+ which is reaching the limits of gigabit ethernet.

Have others been able to use any gigabit ethernet adapters and achieve close to the full 940mbps of the gigabit ethernet spec? I don't have any other gigabit devices to test my Internet on at the moment so I can't confirm if it's an issue with the adapter or not. The connection from my ISP to the modem itself is connecting at 1.25Gbps.

Thanks,

2. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Test on the intranet, not the internet. Too many variables for the latter.

3. JonoX thread starter macrumors member

That's what I would/will do when I have another fast gigabit device to transfer with. But has anyone here used a USB3/-C gigabit ethernet adapter on the Internet or their local network and achieved greater than 500-600mbit/s?

4. robvas macrumors 68030

5. JonoX thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved. I bought a new gigabit to ethernet adapter and this one required drivers. They must be better than the Apple supplied ones or the chipset is superior because now I can get full gigabit speed on speed tests. This is the one I grabbed from my local Best Buy if anyone wants a fast gigabit adapter.

http://www.j5create.com/our-products/ethernet-adapters/jue130.html