USBs and current apps

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Drag'nGT, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

There are apps and drives available that the iPad can read, not sure about writing to, in the app store that do not require a JB.

Kingston and Seagate use wifi drives and HyperMac has a drive and USB kit that the iPad sees as a camera. What could we do that would mimic this so we could use our own USB drives?

2. mpsruo macrumors member

Pretty sure the issue is it has no filesystem, and even if you did (by some jailbroken app), you wouldn't have plug and play drivers sitting on the iOS like windows or apple desktop operating systems do.

You mentioned it yourself, apps like Hypermac has its own custom software + drivers to read the USB as a camera. To use our OWN usb using universal PnP seems tougher

3. Dav1 macrumors 6502

You will need to obtain the camera connection kit.

You'll need to create a special camera folder on your hard drive...

Your USB drive will need to be very low power, or better yet self powered. Generally speaking memory sticks over 4 GB in my experience don't work. Some memory sticks 4 GB and smaller do work, as does the Apple 160 GB iPod... You need to be sure it is powered on.

With a none jail broken iPad you are very limited as to what you can do, really only being able to import pictures... :(

Hope that helps...

4. Romeosc macrumors newbie

The best is AirStash (airstash.com) It creates it's on wifi network plus you can take an SD card full of pictures, import to iPad, insert blank SD card and copy pictures and files to new SD card for a safe copy while still traveling. I am going on. A Safari to Tanzania and want to back up irreplaceable pictures while in field with no electricity. I can charge devices from safari vehicle!

You can import and WRITE to it files from photos, PDFs, Pages, Numbers, WebDev apps, almost everything!