Use 2.33GHz Yonah or wait for Merom

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
10,807
79
A geeky friend of mine wants to get a mini and then self upgrade the chip to a 2.33GHz yonah chip since its socketed, another friend says he should wait for merom/conroe minis due to launch soon.

I personally think its a good idea/experiment, the mini is fairly cheap as it is so if anything goes wrong...no hard feelings (his words), he's bored and just wants to fool around (used to building PCs from scratch.

What do you guys think, is it suicide or should he go for it?
 

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
393
0
I sure as hell don't know that much about hardware besides the basics, but I'd imagine the 2.33ghz yonah would run pretty hot. Would a mini have enough cooling power to keep things from fuzzling out?
 

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
802
0
Well I would think that the 2.33 yonah is just as hot as the 2.16. I'd personally wait and buy a merom processor to upgrade it.
 

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
834
0
The difference between a 1.5 Solo and 2.33 Duo will be significant, but not enough to justify the $700 cost to upgrade, not to mention a loss of warranty.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
daneoni said:
Thanx for all the replies, looks like he is proceeding.
Sorry to chip in so late, but if your friend is bored and has the money to buy another machine if the Mac Mini gets fried from the cpu upgrade, then go for it. A 2.33GHz Core Duo Mac Mini would be one heck of a machine. :)