Use 2 disks for Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Neo-Tech, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Hey,

I have 2 hard disks which I use for Time Machine, one for the main system, and one for my data. However, whenever I backup, I have to reconfigure what it backs up, and this is quite an annoyance as Time Machine is supposed to be a simple. Is there anyway I can save a configuration file for it that I can use for each drive? If this is not possible, is there any workarounds for this?

Thanks
    Neo-Tech

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe you can use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to backup your system (OS) and use Time Machine for backing up your Home Folder.

The advantage of using CCC or SD is you have a bootable copy of Mac OS X, but make sure you have set up an extra user account (admin) to back up via CCC or SD, to have a user to login to, especially if you use TM to back up your user (Home folder).

3. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Time Machine IS simple; it's your usage of it (different disks for different parts of your system) that's complicated. I give a big +1 to the suggestion that you look into SuperDuper, which will give you the flexibility that you need.

4. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the fast reply :) So I can exclude my home folder being backed up in CCC/SuperDuper? And a new admin account to backup using CCC/SuperDuper?

Haha, I was expecting someone to say that. :p

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is about simplicity and ease of use. Most people will only want a single disk for backing up. Apple really doesn't provide any options for those who want something a little more complex

6. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

Sometimes a bit too simple I guess. I've thought about using ChronoSync again for my Home folder, but then if I used TM for the main OS, I wouldn't be able to boot it which is a bit of an annoyance I guess.

Thoughts?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Simple, yes but that's the apple way.

I use Time Machine on one external drive, which I use for those times when I want recover a specific file. I then use Carbon Copy Cloner on a second external drive, for those times that the system gets messed up - CCC is much faster restoring the TM.

I also use CCC on a portable drive and take that drive offsite.

8. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

So basically Time Machine for my files, and CCC for the main system.

I'll just exclude everything in my home folder, apart from my Library folder, that should work if I ever need to restore?

Thanks for the help so far, really appreciated :D

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't exclude my home folder when backing up my system using CCC. I'm paranoid and I want to keep my data backed up in multiple locations. I'm actually less concerned about restoring my system. Its easy enough to reinstall OSX/APPs if I have too. My documents, photoshop files, music and pictures are invaluable - I can't take a chance on them :)

10. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

I see, but my hard drive spaces are limited, that's why I'm having to split backups across. I've got one 320GB hard disk which I'm gonna use for the system, and a 500GB split as 300GB and 200GB. First partition for my data on my Mac, second partition for the PS3 as it can't backup to a HFS+ file system.

11. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

Woo, got it all working :D (Just letting you guys know)

So I'm using CCC to backup my main system excluding my home folder but including my Library folder as the drive isn't big enough, also set it up as a Weekly task. And I'm using Time Machine to backup the rest of my Home folder.

Thanks for all your help, you are all AWESOME. :D