Use 2011 logic board in 2008 case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cutty2k, Apr 3, 2013.

1. cutty2k macrumors newbie

This may be a silly question, but I have recently acquired a broken 2011 13" core i5 MBP. The case (display, keyboard, mouse, top and bottom shell) is completely trashed and unusable, but the logic board and all other components are working properly, as far as I can tell. I have a 15" 2008 core 2 duo mbp that has the opposite issue, the logic board is fried, most of the peripherals don't work, but the display and case are fine. Now, obviously there are going to problems with the ports on the logic board not lining up with the older style case...I can work around that. Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the possibility of the 15" 2008 display working with the 13" 2011 logic board...seems like a long shot, but I have all these parts here, and I'd like to do something with them!

Barring that, I will probably try to find a case and external monitor and make a desktop out of it, but I'd love to keep it mobile.

2. Ploki macrumors 68020

3. cutty2k thread starter macrumors newbie

That site is my bible for MBP repairs for sure! I've got experience tearing both down, I'm more wondering if anyone has any experience with using a 13" logic board with a larger size internal display (i.e. if I have a fried 15" logic board and a good 13" logic board, can I use the 13" with the 15" display?)

4. Binomio macrumors member

Its not worth it, none of the cables will fit or will align. The display cable is wider on the 15MBP, keyboard and trackpad are different.

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Cheap external monitor, keyboard and mouse. It therefore becomes a desktop.

Anything else will just be much too difficult.