Use 3g iPhone as iPod with camera

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by techfreak85, Jul 15, 2008.

1. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

is there any way i can get an iphone 3g as an ipod touch with out the phone? i would get the itouch, but i want the gps, and camera. i dont have att, and i dont even want to pay for a month or an activation charge. is there any way i can do this?
    Thanks

2. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Why don't you just buy a v1 iPhone on ebay or Craigslist or whatever? If you're not gonna use the phone part, why do you need the 3G iPhone? Get a used first-gen phone and then don't activate it with a plan, and jailbreak it.

3. philograf macrumors newbie

get a iphone in for example switzerland, there you can get ipod 3g´s with prepaied, so you can phone, if you dont want to phone you can just use it as iphone without paying every month..

4. pipa macrumors regular

Unfortunaltly, you can't do this because you need to have service put on the phone before you buy it and with out a jailbreak now this is not possible. Unless you are ready to spend alot of money .

Buy a older model from ebay. That is your best bet.

5. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

i would get a v1 iphone but i really want the gps....

6. Skystar macrumors 6502

Well right now the only way to use the GPS is with Google Maps, and that requires a data plan, unless you plan on just locating yourself wherever you get wifi?

7. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

well ya, the reason being that not all wifi hot spots are located in the google maps location deal.... like at my house for example

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well version 1 iPhones would still use cell tower triangulation without a phone plan. It's not like you're disabling the GSM radio it'll still be able to use Locate Me.

And like someone else mentioned, you still need to be connected to data for the maps to work.

9. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

well if u need the data plan, why can u do it on an itouch? it gets the info over wi fi.