Use 3G S and 2G on same Line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shoebobs, Jul 8, 2009.

1. shoebobs macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a 3G S with the $30 3G S data plan and also have a 2G. I am hoping to be able to swap the SIM between the two phones and use the 2G if I am low on battery with the 3G S. Is this possible? ATT is telling me that I cannot do this because they are "two completely different data plans."

Is anybody else able to do this? I don't see why I couldn't use the 2G as well considering I pay for the $30 3G S plan.

Thanks

2. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

You should try it and report back to us

3. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

The reason is due to network type. The 3G gets activated with the 3G network. Whereas with 2G the phone gets activated with EDGE.

4. shoebobs thread starter macrumors regular

After speaking with the Rep for a while, we were able to get the phone activated. However, during the activation process I got a notice about having to pay $20 for an iPhone data plan. The Rep was unable to confirm whether or not I will be charged for just $30 (for my existing 3G S Plan), or $30 plus an additional $20.

Anybody else have a 3G and 2G on the same line, swapping the SIM between the two? Can you give me some insight?

Thanks

5. Lenxal macrumors regular

There is no way..
    I had to let my dad borrow my 3gs because his was still coming in the mail, so I went back to my 2g but I couldn't because It asked me for the $20 dollar plan also.

6. jrbnc macrumors newbie

If u unlock 2g then u can swap back and forth no issues. That's how I'm setup right now.

7. shoebobs thread starter macrumors regular

Even though I plan on using the 2G and 3G S both on AT&T, I would have to unlock the 2G?

8. shoebobs thread starter macrumors regular

After activating the 2G and accepting the $20 data plan for the 2G, I checked my ATT billing online and now instead of showing that I pay $30/month for Data, it shows me only owing $20/month (thankfully it doesn't show I owe $30 + $20). 3G still works on my 3G S so somehow I am getting charged for the EDGE plan but 3G still works when applicable. Also, it says I get the 200 free text messages as part of the EDGE plan.

I did some google searching and other people are reporting this as a "hack" to get the $20 data plan on a 3G. I'm kind of expecting ATT sees the mistake and fixes it, but I guess I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I'm not trying to "hack" the system but I also don't want to call ATT and go on hold again for 30 minutes to tell them they should charge me another $10...

I had to set up voicemail again on both of the phones (set pin, record greeting), but looks like everything is working fine. I've tried swapping the SIM card then sending/receiving phone calls and text messages on both phones and everything seems to be working.

So I guess if anyone else is wondering, looks like you can have a 2G and 3G S on the same line. And possibly pay $10 less

9. neilp4453 macrumors regular

10. Hing macrumors regular

This same thing i was doing use both 3gs and 2g with $20+200 text. but i recieved a text from att say that $20+200 wont work on 3gs and asked me to call them. can anyone confirm before i rack up charges for data use on my 3gs.

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I am doing the same thing. My 3G S was activated om June 19th. I then took my 2G iPhone and actovated it under my 3G S phone number. That gave me the 2G $20 data + 200 SMS. I can now switch the sim between both phones and they both work. The 3G S still uses 3G with no problems.

Again both phones will work with no problems.

12. shoebobs thread starter macrumors regular