Use 65w MagSafe with my UMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tombarnes, Oct 9, 2009.

1. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Hi all,

I've been very ditsy and come away for the weekend without my power adapter for my unibody MacBook Pro.

My question is, can I use my parter's 65w magsafe from his MacBook in place of my 85w adapter I would usually use?

Would it just power it and not charge?

Or is it a no no?

Cheers!

Tom

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Yes. It will power it. It might charge slowly or not at all if you are using it. It will charge (a little slower than usual) if you are not using it and it is asleep or off.

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I believe it will only power it. This is my experience with Dells.

4. bpokosh macrumors newbie

It will work, and it will charge it. I use a 65W from a macbook on my 17" unibody and it works fine, but the charger does get very hot after a while. I try to charge for only brief periods while it is running, and it's less of an issue if the battery is fully charged or if you are charing while it is sleeping.

And as m85476585 said, it may charge slower then normal, but if you're just browsing the web the computer isn't using anywhere near 65 or 85 watts

5. RKpro macrumors 6502

Should be fine, because the the 15" macbooks without the 9600 come with the 65W adapter. So don't use the higher performance setting.

6. tombarnes thread starter macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Thanks for your help folks. I am rationing the use of my MBP! I will see if I manage to get the battery to last the weekend.

But at least I know I won't break it if push comes to shove. I know apple don't recommend it.

It's strange really, I thought it would be fine this way around (just a slower charge), but on the Apple support website it says you can use a higher wattage adapter on a normally lower wattage computer. Mind you, I'm no electrician.

Have a good weekend all,

Cheers!

Tom

7. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

I have no problem (two years running) with 07'MBP & 06'MB with each other's adapters.

8. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

They all get hot, it's nothing special to your situation. So don't worry about that (at least, don't worry unless it starts on fire or something hehe)

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I do it all the time too.
    It does charge extremely slowly if you do something heavy, but if you sleep it, it will charge almost as fast.

Don't worry about it