Use a 37" TV as office screen, too much?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by henrikrox, May 9, 2010.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Hi

So im getting a a new monitor for my office space, the thing is, its 50% work, 25% xbox, and ps3, and 25% tv.

So im thinking of getting a 32 or 37" TV.

However im going to sit just 1-1,5 meter away from the screen, is that going to be to much?

the monitor is this one
    http://www.komplett.no/mlf/produkt/bilder/le40b535/front_big.jpg

how does text and web pages look on a 32" or 37" from 1-1,5 meters away on such a large screen.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A TV is not a good solution to display text, wether it be in a word processing program or in a web browser and the distance doesn't matter either.
    TVs are not optimized for displaying text, but for moving images.

3. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

I thought so, but i cant see the difference between a pc monitor like 2770HD, and something like that i showed in the link. i mean they are both 1080p, have about the same contrast levels, but i guess the TV has high input lag.

bah.

4. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

X-Box - PS3 and TV will look bad at this distance on a 37" - You might just be ok with a 32" but I would suspect it to be bad also.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The difference is not really the lag, but the size. That TV you linked to has a 37" diagonal and has 1920 x 1080 pixel to offer. The that monitor you mentioned has a 27" diagonal and still offers 1920 x 1080 (quite a low resolution for such a big monitor). Now both offer the same resolution, but the TV stretches the resolution an extra 10 inches (the pixels are bigger) thus text looks more crappy.

6. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

when playing games i will just pull my chair back and sit at 2 meters atleast, so i know games, viewing tv etc will be a problem.

but if it sucks that much for web etc, i guess ill look for something else