Use a different disk for virtual memory in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bdellasc, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bdellasc macrumors newbie

Hi everyone:

In Photoshop, you can set a "scratch disk" to any hard drive installed in your system. I'm installing a small hard drive just for that use and I was wondering if there is a way to tell Leopard to use a disk other than the boot disk for virtual memory usage? I've done some searches, but haven't found anything.

Thanks in advance!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You could boot to single user mode and symlink the vm folder in the terminal. I'd not recommend doing this though as you could really mess up your system. Chances are you'll not see much improvement anyway.

There are some, potentially out of date, instructions here but they require a reinstall from scratch.

3. bdellasc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Sounds like it is unnecessary and can cause unstable situations. I'll leave it as is.

4. coloco macrumors newbie

xupport

duh, i didn't see this thread, i just posted a similar question. There's an app called Xupport that gives you the option to change the location of the swap files to a different volume. Any clues anyone?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you were moving the scratch disk for Photoshop and keeping the Final Cut stuff on another hard drive that you can frequently wipe. You would get a lot more benefit for your trouble than messing with the OS.

6. bdellasc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm using one small drive (74GB) for Photoshop scratch disk space. I don't use Final Cut Pro, so thats a non-issue (at this point ;-)