Use a different SMTP server with iCloud on iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by RoboCop001, Oct 14, 2011.

1. RoboCop001, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

WIth MobileMe I had my outgoing server as my Gmail account. My Gmail account forwarded all email to my MobileMe so that I'd have a backup in case anything happened.

But when I go into my iCloud settings on my iPhone it seems that I can't change anything about the primary SMTP server. I can't even turn it off.

Has anyone else tried this?

2. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

My iCloud SMTP settings are also locked on 2 iphones and 2 ipads.. i think this is by desgin so we cant mess it up.. sadly, it's messed up by apple right now so i cant send any iCloud mail :mad:

3. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm I suppose I could just use Gmail directly then. I could still have it forward to my iCloud for a backup.

Oh well. If anyone comes up with a solution please post it in this thread :)

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah you can do it. It's not in the mail settings where the SMTP would normally be though. It's under Settings>iCloud>Account>Advanced Mail. My initially-setup server didn't work for iCloud (p05-smtp.me.com) so I changed it to the generic smtp.me.com and now it works fine :)

5. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

When I go there my SMTP settings are grayed out. I mean, I can look at the different servers and I can see my Gmail SMTP there under the secondary servers, but I can't deactivate the Primary one. It's just all grayed out.

6. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

blevins321: Also, I don't even see what server the iCloud SMTP is set to.
    I've attached a screenshot of my Primary Server screen from iCloud>Account>Advanced>Mail.

I even tried deleting and adding iCloud again.

Attached Files:

7. brucku macrumors regular

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? How come this Person says they can edit their iCloud?

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I think you are 1 page too far. On the prior page you need add smtp server there and the make it the primary.