Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
is it possible to take my old 2600 XT from my Mac Pro and stick it in a PC?

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
After doing a couple searches, it looks like it's a no-go. (The PC arrives tomorrow, UltraNEO. I will still try it, though)

Looks like I will have to put my 3870 Mac and PC Edition in the PC and put the 2600 XT in the Mac Pro until the 5870 comes out. Can I just pop in the 2600 back in to the Mac Pro without doing any driver installation? The drivers are already in Mac OSX right?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
After doing a couple searches, it looks like it's a no-go. (The PC arrives tomorrow, UltraNEO. I will still try it, though)

Looks like I will have to put my 3870 Mac and PC Edition in the PC and put the 2600 XT in the Mac Pro until the 5870 comes out. Can I just pop in the 2600 back in to the Mac Pro without doing any driver installation? The drivers are already in Mac OSX right?

Why you think it's a "no go" ? The 2600HD works with bootcamp, therefore it'll work fine in a PC. And, yup, just uses the standard ATI drivers which are in Leopard.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Thanks for the info. This was the thread I was referring to:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/59385/

Though, I see that it's dated 2004 so it's pre-Mac Pro. But I assumed the essentials are the same; that Macs need an EFI rom on the videocard to boot, before the OS even loads. But who knows, I'll try it tomorrow and find out for sure.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Thanks for the info. This was the thread I was referring to:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/59385/

Though, I see that it's dated 2004 so it's pre-Mac Pro. But I assumed the essentials are the same; that Macs need an EFI rom on the videocard to boot, before the OS even loads. But who knows, I'll try it tomorrow and find out for sure.
Some versions of Windows (Vista & Win7) are capable of operating on EFI firmware based machines, and if you're running as a hack, EFI is still what OS X sees (i.e. EFI Emulator).

Perhaps Guiyon could post which version of Windows is installed. ;)

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I was using Windows XP but I recently upgraded to Vista; both of the systems worked fine with the standard Catalyst driver package from ATI. This was on an ECS G33T-M2 motherboard and the card was a pull from my Early 2008 Mac Pro.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I was using Windows XP but I recently upgraded to Vista; both of the systems worked fine with the standard Catalyst driver package from ATI. This was on an ECS G33T-M2 motherboard and the card was a pull from my Early 2008 Mac Pro.
:cool: So it does actually work with XP as well. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.