Use a Time Capsule differently

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vmachiel, Aug 4, 2016.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Hi,

So I have a weird question. I have a Time Capsule (the latest one) in a box here. I already have a pretty good router and a killer access point (ubiquity). I don't need it's router functionality. Can I change settings or put new software on it, that's just make it a media server? I want to put stuff on there and stream it to my devices.

Thanks!

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You could add it to the network and use it as a NAS, but that would only work with computers.

It's how I use mine and it works fine.

3. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Can I be set up as a DLNA server? Or just a "hard drive in the sky" sort of deal?

4. mfram macrumors 65816

Honestly, from what you've said, I would try to sell it. As far as a file server goes, I think the TC is pretty slow compared to other options out there. The "killer" feature is that it is the only network file server that Time Machine supports out of the box. If you don't need that, sell it and get something else.

The Time Capsule does not support DLNA and I haven't heard about any software packages out there you can load on it that will.

I am using a Time Capsule and I like it for backing up my Macs. But more importantly, I 'm using it as my WiFi access point. If you aren't going to use that functionality, then I see little reason to keep it.

5. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I second this. I store some TV series on mine, and it frequently spins down and bogs everything down. Mine was free, I probably wouldn't have one otherwise.

6. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have found that this type of behavior occurs less with the latest firmware and also that certain programs accessing the data will buffer large amounts, causing the TC to spin down and then awaken as it completes the buffer. Some other media players do not buffer that much data, and as a result the TC does not get the time to spool down. Try using a different program to access the TV shows and you may find it works better!