Use a wired and wireless internet connection simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Paulyboy, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Paulyboy macrumors 6502

I have an Airport Express and use it for wireless Internet access for all the devices in my house. This includes a 27 inch iMac, an iPod touch, and a PC laptop. I just got involved with something I’m testing on my 27 inch iMac that requires a wired Internet connection. I realize I could simply unplug my cable modem from the Airport Express, plug it into the ethernet port on my iMac, then switch the network settings to the ethernet port, but then the PC laptop and my iPod Touch wouldn’t have Internet access until I switched back. Switching back and forth constantly would be a pain obviously.

So am I correct in assuming that the procedure described in this link would solve my problem? If it did would this make the Airport Express unnecessary now? Or could the Airport Express be used in conjunction with this procedure?

So just for clarification I want to be able to use a wired Internet connection on my 27 inch iMac while simultaneously still have wireless Internet access in my home for the PC laptop and iPod Touch. Whether I can achieve this with or without the Airport Express is fine with me. Thanks in advance.

-PN

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you WiFi share with the iMac, the Express would be redundant as the only wired connection is being used with the iMac. You can use the Express to extended the iMac's WiFi into further areas of the house but it will run slower. The other alternative is to purchase a wired router with more than 1 wired port (they usually have 4) and then have both the iMac and the Express working, if that's necessary. That way, the iMac does not need to be on for the network to be functional.

3. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your response.

I think I'll try the WiFi sharing procedure first because it won't cost me anything. But if I do have to get a wired router would something like this be what you're talking about?

-PN