Use admin account or not

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by New.Guy, Jun 25, 2009.

1. New.Guy macrumors newbie

Hey, I`m new to the mac world (first mac ever coming tomorrow probably), and i`ve been trying to gather as much info as possible, so im not totally helpless when it arrives. One thing i saw somewhere (can`t quite remember where it was) was a guy suggesting that users (or new users, can`t remember) didnt use their admin account all the time, have your admin account apart from your day-to-day account.
    Is this something i should do? What are the main differences between using an account without admin privileges and one with them?

Thanks a lot

(PS: im new tot he forum, so i was not sure if this was the place to post this thread, i just did it here because the computer im ordering is a Macbook Pro)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It all depends on how security conscious you are. I have a separate standard account that I use daily, then a admin account that sits around. The biggest difference is how often you'll be asked for admin credentials e.g., when you install new software or add/edit/delete system files. You'll be more secure by running a standard account, but there really isn't much to be afraid of on a Mac currently as viruses are non-existent and trojans are few and hard to get by legit users. There have been polls here about whether or not people have separate accounts from the admin and the majority just use their admin accounts.

3. New.Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i think im going to use another account, and let my admin account just sit around, and if i find that it is bothering me enough, ill just use the admin then..

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's OSX. Admin account works fine.

Anyone who says otherwise are just wasting their time, because they do not realize there are no real life exploits for osx.

Better to take a few minutes to read up on trojans vs viruses.

Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

The Mac Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/01/29/the-mac-malware-myth/

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

How to check for Trojans
    http://www.macworld.com/article/60823/2007/10/trojanhorse.html

Market Share Myth
    http://blogs.bellinghamherald.com/i...uter_virus_record_straig&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Some of us have to follow corporate policies though.

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I agree but 99% of computer user think there are one in the same. That is because Anti-Virus companies detect both with their Anti-Virus software. So with that said we should lay off the people that think they are the same. It really isn't their fault not knowing... ;)

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

If you understand computer security, you can safely use an admin account.

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I use my admin account, it asks for the password anyway to perform certain operations, so it is a little secure.

Admin gives you the ability to change settings and stuff, unless you lock them in system preferences (then you need the Admin password).

Super User is the highest authority on macs, above Administrator, and able to edit system files and everything. The super user account is not something you can actually log in on as far as I know, it's just something that can be called upon when necessary to make certain changes

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just protect your admin account with a strong password and set it to log out after 10 minutes of inactivity and you'll be fine.

10. macgrl macrumors 65816

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just as a note, most Windows users feel that same exact way. Most Windows users who's computer is a part of a botnet don't realize anything is wrong. I'm just saying, not trying to make anyone get fearful.

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It's qualitatively and quantitatively impossible for any normal user to understand security! :D But it's still fine to use an admin level account. I guess 90% of the people here do so. There's a lot of potential hassle by not using it.

13. New.Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah.. i think if i made it ok with my old windows, i should be ok with the mac.. just gotta remember to create a guest for other people to use

thanks everyone :)

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Just thought I'd add that even if you don't use an admin account, any potential malware can still destroy the data inside your user directory, so you need to backup! The operating system can be easily replaced within minutes, but your data cant.

FYI, I don't login with an admin account ;)