Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Hello to all,

So, I have a PC that has no wireless capabilities. I am aware of how I can purchase a wireless adapter, but the AirPort Express intrigues me. Does the AirPort Express communicate with a router wirelessly? Meaning if I have my router and PC in separate rooms, can I use the Airport Express as a wireless adapter or no?

Thanks,
Destroysall

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Hello to all,

So, I have a PC that has no wireless capabilities. I am aware of how I can purchase a wireless adapter, but the AirPort Express intrigues me. Does the AirPort Express communicate with a router wirelessly? Meaning if I have my router and PC in separate rooms, can I use the Airport Express as a wireless adapter or no?

Thanks,
Destroysall

No. An Airport Express only connects to a PC or Mac wirelessly.

Connecting it via USB or Ethernet doesn't turn it into a wireless adaptor. Just get a USB wireless adaptor.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Yes it does. I have my sat box connected via Ethernet to my airport express and set my express to join my network not extend and it acts perfectly as a wireless adapter.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
No. An Airport Express only connects to a PC or Mac wirelessly.

Connecting it via USB or Ethernet doesn't turn it into a wireless adaptor. Just get a USB wireless adaptor.

Erm, wrong.

It will extend a wireless network, but only if the router is an AEBS or Time Capsule. From the Airport Express you can use the ethernet port to connect to your wireless-less PC.

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
I used to use a wrt54g as my router and an old airport express(g only) to plug my wired computers into. That uses what's called WDS and is kind of slow.

The newer N airport express will act as an access point, but as far as I know that is only with an extreme or time capsule working as your router.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Erm, wrong.

It will extend a wireless network, but only if the router is an AEBS or Time Capsule. From the Airport Express you can use the ethernet port to connect to your wireless-less PC.

I used to use a wrt54g as my router and an old airport express(g only) to plug my wired computers into. That uses what's called WDS and is kind of slow.

The newer N airport express will act as an access point, but as far as I know that is only with an extreme or time capsule working as your router.

So the router itself has to be either the Extreme or the Time Capsule for the AirPort Express to be used as a network adapter?

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
I use the Cisco Valet M10 router, would this work?

To be sure that it will definitely work, get another router from Cisco and use it to extend your wireless network.

I am using two AEBS's and one AE to get a full wireless coverage in my home. I tried to use a router from Buffalo to extend my wireless network originated from an AEBS but failed.

Alternatively, you can get an AEBS and an AE, with your Cisco router replaced by the AEBS. This is obviously an expensive approach!

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Actually the Express has 2 ways of doing this:

1) Extending a network, pretty much needs to be an Apple network (e.g. Express, Extreme or Time Capsule).

2) Join an existing network, this will join ANY wifi network from any vendor, it will not extend the wifi capabilities but will work as an ethernet bridge.

either of these ways also allow you to use the audio capabilities, not sure about usb :)

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Yes I have used this method with my ps3 and with my airplay compatible Pioneer reciever

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Actually the Express has 2 ways of doing this:

1) Extending a network, pretty much needs to be an Apple network (e.g. Express, Extreme or Time Capsule).

2) Join an existing network, this will join ANY wifi network from any vendor, it will not extend the wifi capabilities but will work as an ethernet bridge.

either of these ways also allow you to use the audio capabilities, not sure about usb :)

Very nice. I would only use it for its audio capabilities and as an ethernet bridge really. I already have a wireless printer. :)

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Newer Express = yes

Connected our Sky+ satellite box to the Airport Express to enable Anytime+ TV on demand services. Also hooked up to the stereo for Airplay.

Simple to set up as long as your AE is the N capable model, proxySTA allows it to work as a bridge without needing the Time Capsule or Airport Base Station.

As others have said, set it up to Join your network and tick the enable ethernet box.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1132754/express11n.html

dmmeys

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Interestingly I've been trying to do the same thing recently. I have just got a preloved dell pc that doesn't have wireless. I have virgin media connected into my timecapsule. I have a few of the older generation 'g' airport expresses around the house. Everything in the house (macbooks, MBP's, iPads & iPhones all connected happily.

I was hoping to be able to use one of the expresses to hook up my ethernet pc connection. Apple store guy says can be done, other forums give conflicting advice. This thread seems to say can only be done on the newer 'N' express with a WAN and LAN port.

Am I correct? Getting a bit fed up and simply going to buy a USB wireless dongle if current expresses wont do it but seemed a waste if they could.

nightmars

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Germany
Works like a charm

1)
I have 1 AE wirelessly connected to an AVM router and my Gaming rigg plugged in

2)
Second AE as well wirelessly connected to the AVM router and 1 network hard drive plugged in-- works flawlessly, even if Apple says, the network port is only internet WAN ... same thing for my NEW AE - got 2 !! Network hard drives plugged in to connect to them wirelessly

chers
nightmars

dmmeys

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
I might get it to work then! What settings did you have to use on the AE being used as the access point? I've been trying to configure mine wirelessly from my mbp. Maybe i should install the airport utility on the dell pc, connect it using the ethernet cable and configure it from there? Just checked my serial numbers using the link above. Seems I have 1 older gen 'g' only AE and one newer 1st gen 'n' AE. Suspect I'll try the newer 'n' one and try to configure it from the pc.

Any advice?

dmmeys

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Hey all,

Many thanks. After going through the advice provided I have got the AE to work. I set up a WDS as per advice given elsewhere. Relatively difficult but worked ok. Following the advice on this thread I then reset the system and set the newer AE 'n' up with a single click as an ethernet client, plugged the pc ethernet cable in and instantly connected! So much simpler and faster. I can't believe apple don't make reference to this anywhere remotely simple to find. Many thanks for your help.

PS: I assume the only difference between setting the AE as an ethernet client or setting up a WDS is that in the former the AE will activate the ethernet port and shut down it's wireless signal and under WDS the wireless remains in place.

Under wds I was able to see the AE when searching for available airplay speakers. Just now, under ethernet client, I cannot. A small price to pay.

For my sins I installed XP SP2 onto the pc and then proceeded to have to download service pack 3 and all of the guff that comes with windows to make it work. over 2gb of data transferred without any interruptions at 24mb. Worked like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.