Use airport express with my ISP wifi router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gab2012, Jun 28, 2012.

1. gab2012, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

gab2012 macrumors member

Hey guys,

My DSL isp gave me a Thomson TG782 Wireless G modem when I signed up, unfortunately wireless G isn't cutting it for me since I have an apple TV and stream a ton of stuff from my computer to it. Also airplay games like modern combat 3 lag like crazy from my iPhone 4s and new iPad.

I'm thinking the cause is the lack of wireless N on the router which keeps everything on the 2.4ghz band instead of using it along with the 5ghz band simultaneously.

What I plan to do is connect the airport express to the modem via ethernet so I can connect all of my devices to the airport and turn off the wireless radio on the dsl modem and get better transfer rates.

My only worry is that since my internet will be going through 2 devices, it will have port/firewall issues.
    can this be done?

2. mabaty macrumors member

Yes just turn wifi off of your modem/router, let it act strictly as the router and set the express to be only an access point and not a router. Does this make sense? But, yes you can do this without a doubt.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This is exactly what I do. Disable ALL wifi capabilities of you ISP supplied modem / router.

Connect the modem to your AE via ethernet cable. then use it for all your wifi.

I actually use a Time capsule but it works the same way.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Config the AE in bridge mode and then you can let the router continue to continue to handle the port/firewall stuff like its been doing.