Use all 8 cores in FCP and Compressor

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Renderz, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Renderz macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Currently I've configured Qmaster to use all 8 cores, but whenever I send a project to Compressor from FCP most of the cores comes up with an error and essentially fails.

I know there are some users who have successfully used all 8 cores to output their video, can anyone provide any tips as to why my cores are failing?

Many thanks.

2. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I read somewhere that you need 2GB of ram for each core. For example, I have a quad-core imac with 8GB of ram.

3. thejoshhoward macrumors member

In my workflow, I always export a Pro Res master to take to compressor outside of FCP. In doing so, I've never had an issue using all available cores. I don't have any solid numbers to share, but I feel like I get better performance from compressor when I'm not exporting from the timeline.

Another thing that may be worth a shot is going down to 6 cores. I've got a Qmaster config for 6 cores that I use when i still want to do other work during compression.

Good luck to you!

4. hsilver macrumors regular

Compressor Repair

Try downloading Compressor Repair (free software) run it - I think with Compressor open, Compressor reopens and it should work. I have to do this 90% of the time I use Compressor.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I believe this has been discussed before and Apple has an article relating to the use of Qmaster w/Compressor. The general workflow is to export a self-contained QT Movie(not conversion) from FCP and take that file into Compressor so that all or the # of cores you designate can be taken advantage of. The send to Compressor function has never really worked for me when trying to use multiple cores.

6. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

As I've heard it, Qmaster effectively launches multiple instances of Compressor and spreads the work amongst them, and this can't be done via FCP due to licensing strictures.

You don't need 2GB per core, it's just what people recommend as optimal. And I think that's just anecdotal.

7. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

If you are trying to compress HDV using Qmaster, it will fail. What video format are you using?