Use an Administrator Standard account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chipandegg, Feb 5, 2010.

1. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

Hi

I'm just wondering, I am sole user of the Mac usually and use an admin account.

Though I've read in a few places that you should set up a standard account and use that for day to day activities.

What does everybody else do?

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have a standard account for day-to-day and a separate admin account.

3. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I use an admin account as well - I'm the only user, and that's the only account. But I am curious as well - what is the advantage of seperating them?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

(Apparent) security. Even if something nasty managed to take over your account it is limited in what it can do as it's not admin

5. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I kind of figured that it was security. But can you give any example? If I want to do something to the system, even when I am logged in in my admin account, I need to enter the password.

What is the nastiest thing someone could do in an admin account without having to enter the password that that person could not do in a standard account?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's not so much about the examples you can think of, but the ones you can't come up with. I use standard account for my daily things and never need to log into my admin account ever unless I just want to test something. Some companies (like mine) require you to use a standard account and only access the admin one when necessary. It's mostly a just-in-case thing, but it does offer some extra security since admin accounts can do more with or without entering a password, and some people use admin accounts with no password.

7. MarcusH macrumors newbie

I'd like to have separate accounts, but I use a piece of music software that creates difficulties unless the user has full admin rights. Guess I should complain.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I am the only user, so i guess i am on an admin account.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm using the admin account. Now that my girls are getting old enough to use the computer, I'll be setting up some standard accounts but I'll remain the admin user and not set up a standard account for myself.