Use an Apple Gift Card to purchase iPad 2??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by j59621, Jan 1, 2011.

1. j59621 macrumors newbie

Hello all-
    I received a 64GB 3G iPad as a gift this Christmas.

I had been waiting all along for the iPad 2 before I was going to buy one, however since I received an iPad1 as a gift, I decided to open it up and enjoy it.

However, after two weeks of use, the novelty had worn off and I was using it less less and I realized that there is nothing that it could do that I wasn't able to do with my MBP and iPhone 4.

Additionally, I was getting frustrated by safari reloading web pages whenever I open up a new tab or going to a different app and then returning to safari. (I understand this is due to the small amount of RAM in the device).

Since I couldn't stop thinking about how I was going to sell it as soon as the iPad2 becomes available, I decided to return it for store credit.

Fortunately, the guys at the apple store were nice and didn't end up charging me the 10% restocking fee. I now have an Apple Store Gift Card for the full amount of the iPad plus tax along with a receipt that shows the transaction.

However I have been reading online today that people have had difficulty purchasing iPads with Gift Cards. (The articles and forum posts about this date back primarily back to March/April 2010)

Do you think I am going to have a problem purchasing an iPad 2 with a gift card when it is released in the coming months?

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I would have used that bad boy to death.

either way, I can't imagine why they would refuse sale, unless they were low on supply to start with. All I can say is just keep hold of your receipt and try to use that as evidence if you run into a problem.

Just to round things off, I really can't see an iPad coming out before April, so hope you're ready for a little wait

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

You certainly should not have any problems. You might want to double check but I highly doubt you will have problems.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

The reason why you weren't allowed to use cash or giftcards was because they couldn't tie the purchase to anyone. There was a 2 iPad limit per person when it first launched because of how few they had, and they didn't want them ending up on the market.

I would kind of assume same thing will happen with iPad 2 at first, where at least some of the iPad must be put on a credit card to keep track of how many someone purchases.

Curious to see what happens when it does come out because I have a little over 200 in giftcards and then was going to put the rest on a credit card. We shall see.

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

This reminds of a something from one of the iPhone lines, I don't remember which one.

This guy wanted to buy an iPhone with cash, but for some reason he couldn't. He had to buy a gift card with his cash then use that gift card to buy the iPhone. This though doesn't matter for tracking because Apple could just look to see if that number already bought an iPhone.

6. sk4prez2020 macrumors member

sk4prez2020

iPad with Gift Card

You're going to have to wait over night at Apple if you want one right away. You can only preorder an iPad with a credit card, not a gift card. You can use a gift card in store when they get the iPad 2 in physical stock.:D