Use an AT&T unlimited iphone data sim in other device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cnotes2019, Jun 4, 2014.

1. cnotes2019 Suspended

I was wondering if you can use an iphone unlimited data sim in an mobile hotspot or ipad? Thanks!

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This doesn't really directly answer your question, but I did what you're talking about on Verizon. I had a MiFi hotspot and I put the SIM in it on my iPad and it worked without a hitch.

It may be able to work on AT&T using the same method. If not, you can always call them to change the device that the SIM is in. Though, I'm pretty sure only the SIM card is required to be activated and in the system for there to be service.

3. bigfatipod macrumors member

Years ago when the iPad first came out, I believe you could do this. But it didn't last long. I remember pulling my sim card from my iPhone 4 and trying to use it in my iPad. I forget the details, but it did require me to get a separate data plan (it wasn't all that clear) and long story short I had to spend some time with ATT and explain I didn't really want a data plan on my iPad.

I don't think you'll be able to do it - at least not with an unlimited plan.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I believe it can be done, but it is not as simple as putting the SIM in the iPad. Someone around here will know how.