Use an iPhone 4S as an iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 999blb, Jan 1, 2012.

1. 999blb macrumors member

Here is what I want to do. I would like to purchase an iPhone 4S, but I don't want the service for it. I want to use it more like an iPod Touch than an iPhone with calling/texting. I can just download TextFree with Voice for that stuff. I mainly want one for a better camera and Siri :) Now, I was planning on getting the Sim Free iPhone 4S off of the Apple website and getting a micro sim card off of eBay. I've read that you only need the sim card for activation/upgrading/restoring the iPhone. Is there anything else I should know about doing this? Thanks for any quick responces.

2. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken, an unlocked iPhone 4s can run you up to almost $1000...iPod touch is cheaper, can still put text free on there and Skype...doesn't make sense to get an unlocked phone to use as an iPod touch when you can just buy an iPod touch

3. 999blb thread starter macrumors member

Does it need to be unlocked then? I just picked it out because it was contract free and I don't want to have a 2 year contract for something I won't use.

*EDIT*
    According to the Apple website, they offer the Unlocked iPhone 4S' for - 16GB = $649, 32GB = $749, 64GB = $849.

4. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

ok im still not getting why you would spend no less than $650 to use an iphone as an ipod touch? you can buy a 64gb ipod touch for $400....still saving money

5. 999blb thread starter macrumors member

I want a 4S for Siri and the amazing camera. The iPod's camera isn't amazing compared to the 4S. If I had a contract, I'd be paying a lot of money so this is the way to fix that.

6. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

why not buy an ipod touch for less than $400, then get a real camera for less than $200...you STILL save money...im sorry, im just not getting the point of what you asked...i can understand if you just want a prepaid iphone 4s, but to pay for an iphone 4s, then just use it in the same exact way you can use an ipod touch? makes no sense...me personally, i would just skip the whole siri thing and get an ipod touch...but i mean, if youre rich like that, hell why not