Use an iPhone 5 Sleeve/Pouch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tardman91, Apr 2, 2013.

1. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I've been searching Etsy for some sleeves for the iPhone 5 I'll be picking up soon. I usually go naked with my phone, but think a sleeve might be a nice thing to pick up this time around. I just have a few questions for those that use them.
    Do they add much bulk? I know this depends on the material, but I'm looking at suede/leather/felt ones.
    Are they easy to slide the phone in/out of in general?
    Are the sleeves easy to get in/out of pants pockets?
    Do you prefer the sleeve to a regular case?
    And lastly, what are you using and do you like it? Pics are always a plus.

2. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Sleeves are nice protection for a naked phone. Very useful going through airport security or just having the phone in your pocket or briefcase when not in use.

Some are very tight, some or just right. Most, probably except for a felt one, slide in/out of pants pocket just fine.

My Sena Ultra Slim is a bit tight, and leaves the top edge exposed.

It is a different purpose then a case...for a case I use the SwitchEasy Tones - black.

Biggest problem with Sleeves, if you keep them on...and are a heavy user..it removing them to see what each 'beep' was about...call, tweet, iMessage, calendar reminder, etc.

For a sleeve, I use the SFbags Hint. Started a thread here. Like it because of the plastic window, which solves the problem above.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1562270

Your suede case looks good. Covers the edge. Same problem with no window...but that may not be a problem for you.

Good luck

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I used to have a Sena leather sleeve for an iPhone 4. The stitches ended up marking up the glass so no more sleeves for me.

4. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Ah, been through this soooo many times. Think of the game 'rock-paper-scissors', but call it 'dirt-metal-glass'

Dirt beats metal and glass. NOOO way that leather will ever scratch glass...unless there is 'dirt/sand' that got inside. Been using sleeves for 4 years now...never a problem..and have been using the Sena all the time. Not even a mar on the oleophobic coating...

Plus the stitches are on the side of the sleeve, not near the glass.

Motto...keep a clean case and phone....that is why they call it sandpaper. dirt can very, very likely have tiny bits of quartz inside it (basically ground up rock material...which is 'dirt') quartz and glass have the same hardness and will scratch metal and glass.