Use an old Mac as a display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by douglhanna, Jul 23, 2014.

1. douglhanna macrumors newbie

I have a 21.5 inch, Mid 2010 iMac (doesn't support Target Display Mode).

Is there any way I could use this as a second display for my mid-2012 MacBook Pro?

2. simsaladimbamba

ScreenRecycler or Air Display will let you do that. I have used the latter with a 2007 iMac as display via a Gigabit Ethernet connection connected to a Mac Pro and it worked quite well for text or still images only content.

3. velocityg4, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you look at the thread, "Using iMac G5 as External Monitor". It might give you some ideas about gutting the iMac then patching into the internal video with DVI.

I suppose an easier method would be to find out which panel your iMac uses. Then find a regular monitor that uses the same panel. Then go ahead and order replacement parts for that monitor to include the inverter and control board.

You could also try out at your own risk an LCD DIY kit. I'm not sure if the voltage requirements of an LED LCD differ from a CCFL LCD. If these kits do work they would certainly be the cheapest option. One I'm sure many G4 iMac owners would love.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Maybe i'm saying something stupid, but the 2010 iMacs have a displayport and supporting video in and out. At least that's the case with my 27", I don't know for sure it's the same with the 21". Have you tried commecting your MBP through displayport?

5. simsaladimbamba

Only the 2009 and 2010 27" iMacs support target display mode, once the iMacs gained TB ports, it also worked on the 21.5" models since 2011.

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Thanks for correcting me. I hate it when Apple does stuff like this, put some specs in one model, but not not the other...