Use Apples Mail client on phone but Outlook on watch - notifications issue

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dictoresno, Sep 5, 2016.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I'm trying to use Apples Mail client on my phone but only use Outlook on my watch. However the phone will only allow Outlook to mirror iPhone alerts and not choose to turn them off for the phone but on for the watch only. Apples Mail app allows for this. Is there anyway to get this to work? I want Apple Mail notifications on the phone, not watch. And only Outlook notifications on the watch, not phone.

On a side note, this is because all replies done through Apple Mail kick back as "unsent" but sent mail works fine on Outlook. Anyone else having issues?

2. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

As far as I can see no 3rd party watch apps have any option other than mirror my iPhone for alerts. My best guess is that the custom alerts option is a private API. Either that or developers don't see a use case for you receiving watch notifications but not phone notifications.

3. sean000, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Why use Apple Mail at all? The outlook app for iPhone is very nice and the search capability is miles better. I haven't opened the Apple Mail app in a very long time. I'm using Outlook for my Gmail as well.

4. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

I would happily use it, however my one and only gripe is Outlook uses whatever the senders chosen name is as opposed to listing my contacts name.

For example, Apple mail shows the sender as "Kathleen Smith" which is what my apple contacts has the name listed under that email address whereas Outlook shows it's from "Kathy S".

I want the full name to show as I have it saved, making it easier to know who exactly they are from, not just aliases. There's no way to fix that.