"Use as default" view options does not apply in Snow Leopard - FTFF!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrCheeto, Nov 26, 2009.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Apple, you broked it AGAIN!! You're getting tired of hearing this but Fix The F****** Finder!!!

When I set a view option and then click "Use as default" it doesn't apply to all the folders throughout the system. This worked every time in Leopard like Billy D. Williams' Colt .45, and now? BROKED!

Come on Apple! You do a great job at making things work, such so that we have to bring ourselves to THIS! Batching about so little an issue as not applying my pretty background color to all my windows! If you're going to break something at least break something worth fixing!

Anybody heard of a fix for this?

2. soveet macrumors newbie

soveet

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Well i just spent an hour and 41 minutes on the phone with Apple. The guy had me deleting so many Plists it was like I was on a new system. Eventually he ran out of ideas and was clearly trying to blow me off so I just reinstalled the system and waddayano...the issue is STILL there -.-'

I reset all permissions and cross checked, nothing, I deleted all system and User plists...nada...

What gives?! What else could possibly effect the "Use as Default" function?! Somebody needs to report this to Apple.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

5. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Damn, I transfered once from Time Machine so maybe that's an issue.

What's .DS_Store?

6. Unique Visuals macrumors regular

.DS_Store

.DS_Store are invisible files that are used to store the info on how to display the finder window. They do get corrupted at times. I've tried deleting all of those and the issue is still there.
    Reseting the PRAM doesn't do it either.

Snow Leopard is really causing me many headaches.
    Why can't it save the last set view for a window instead of what I have opened before I opened it again.
    Grrrrrr

7. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

FIXED!

I downloaded OnyX and opened a Finder window and configured it how I wanted. Then, with the window still open, I used "Rebuild: Display of Folders Contents" in the maintenance tab and it applies the properties of that window to all others. Use as Defaults still does nothing but at least I got my results.

8. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm having the opposite problem.

I can change view options for one folder, and it applies to *every* folder/window. (EX: I want Downloads to be sorted by Date Added, but Documents to be sorted by Name)

I can't figure it out!