Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Hey guys I'm in a bit of a pickle I have an awesome sound system set up with my airport express and iTunes for my yard but now I want to be able to play it inside as well. So my current set up is my receiver connected to my airport express and my outside speakers connected to that. Since I have my ATV (2nd Gen.) downstairs and running wires is no problem I thought that might be my solution. The thing is I want to be able use my Apple TV normally without it having to go though the external speakers. Any ideas are appreciated, thanks guys! Any more info needed just ask.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hey guys I'm in a bit of a pickle I have an awesome sound system set up with my airport express and iTunes for my yard but now I want to be able to play it inside as well. So my current set up is my receiver connected to my airport express and my outside speakers connected to that. Since I have my ATV (2nd Gen.) downstairs and running wires is no problem I thought that might be my solution. The thing is I want to be able use my Apple TV normally without it having to go though the external speakers. Any ideas are appreciated, thanks guys! Any more info needed just ask.

If you already have an ATV inside and hosting from iTunes, just select the ATV in iTunes instead of the Express when you want to hear the music inside. If you want to hear inside and outside simultaneously, select both the ATV and the Express in iTunes.

Or are you saying you want to use the one receiver for both? In that case, either get another receiver, use the A/B speaker selection on your existing receiver if it has one, or get a speaker selector switch.

For my setup I have an ATV+HDMI receiver for the HTC and an Express+stereo receiver+speaker switch for the whole-home sound system.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011

I'm a bit confused about how your system is currently set up. Regardless, though, the AppleTV has two audio outputs: One through HDMI (to your TV) and one via optical cable (to your stereo). When you want to stuff on your TV, turn off the stereo, and vice versa.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I'm a bit confused about how your system is currently set up. Regardless, though, the AppleTV has two audio outputs: One through HDMI (to your TV) and one via optical cable (to your stereo). When you want to stuff on your TV, turn off the stereo, and vice versa.

Oh I see. I wasn't sure if I could do that, thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.