Use Backup From One Mac for Another Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sentinel, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Sentinel macrumors newbie

I used Time Machine to back up my HD for a Macbook Pro I had. But, it broke, so I have another Mac. I ran Time Machine, set up the same external HD for the backups, but it set a new folder in the backups, and I cant back up to the first mac's backups. How can I backup the 2nd mac with the 1st mac's backup info?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If you get a new Mac you can use Migration Assistant (during the initial set up) to transfer your files from your previous backup into your new Mac. Then you can backup the new Mac via Time Machine.

Time Machine is set up to create separate files for each machine that it backs up, so that if you have multiple machines backing up with Time Machine on the same external hard drive the files are separated and not mixed up.

3. Sentinel thread starter macrumors newbie

So, if I reinstall Mac OSX with the CD that came with it, will I be able to access Migration Assistant during the setup?

Also, will reinstalling Leopard affect my Windows partition with bootcamp that I already made?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There's the option to use a Time Machine drive in the 10.5 Migration Assistant now. :cool:

It's on a separate partition so it's untouched. I'd still make a backup of important files though.

5. Sentinel thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks. I found Migration Assistant using spotlight, and I'm currently transferring my stuff.