Use Boot Camp to create partition for 10.8?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RaMaz07, Feb 18, 2012.

1. RaMaz07 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

Back when the Lion Dev Previews were out I was able to open Boot Camp on my original MacBook Air, create a partition for Windows, then go to Disk Utility, reformat the partition and then install the Dev Preview onto it.

But today I tried to do the same thing on my 2011 11" MacBook Air and it won't even let me partition unless it knows a formatted USB drive with Windows on it is present.

All I want to do is use Boot Camp to create a partition without having to wipe the drive. I would prefer to have a 10.7 and a 10.8 partition so when the next Preview comes out I can install that over the old 10.8 Partition.

I would really prefer not to make the entire drive 10.8.

Thanks guys

2. simsaladimbamba

Why not use Disk Utility to create a second partition?

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

3. RaMaz07 thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to wipe the internal drive and start fresh. I would just simply like to partition the current Macintosh HD into two.

4. simsaladimbamba

Then this part of the bolded guide might help.

5. kzrconf macrumors newbie

This is bad news for those installing Linux as well -- Boot Camp is usually used to enable a hybrid partition table and legacy BIOS mode (for Windows, but then also Linux compatibility). There are ways to work without either, but much more complicated.

6. RaMaz07, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

RaMaz07 thread starter macrumors member

You know, I totally missed that bottom section of the page. Originally I was reading it and it didn't seem like it was what I was looking for.

I never knew that Disk Utility can do this. It was fast, simple and just what I wanted.

and as I type this i'm installing 10.8.

Thank you Simsaladimbamba! :cool:

7. simsaladimbamba

No problem, and thank you for (indirectly) pointing out a flaw in that Disk Utility snippet. I revised it, to make it more accessible.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.