Use Boot Camp together with Parallels Desktop 5?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tigereat, Dec 25, 2009.

1. tigereat macrumors regular

Dear Guys, I found this advertisement and got confused

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd38-14/?source=google_us&gclid=CI-AwOD28p4CFRaenAodryXDJQ

It's about Using Boot Camp Better With Parallels Desktop® 5 for Mac.

We know the run Window on Mac with Boot Camp and with Parallels Desktop has different advatages and disadvantages. For example, with Boot Camp method, can run high-performance PC-only software at full speed in a Mac’s native hardware environment but unable to run both OSes at the same time. With Paralells Desktop, can run high-performance PC-only software at almost native speed in VM but can run both OSes without rebooting

However this advertisement is telling me that we can run high-performance PC-only software at full speed in a Mac’s native hardware environment without rebooting. I have been using Paralells Desktop 5 to run Windows 7 visually on my new iMac, but my PC-only software will never run at full speed on my new iMac. I checked the perfomance on visual mode and found that Parallels Desktop allowed my iMac to use at most 1 Core or Processor (I have 2 cores) and 2GB of Ram (I have 4 GB). So it's not running at full capabilities of my Mac's hardware at all.

Can you guys check the link above and please tell me if i'm misunderstanding something? or If anyone know what it means and know how to use Boot Camp Better toghether With Parallels Desktop 5 to obtain the both advantages from Boot Camp and Parallel Desktop 5

THanks so much

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Boot Camp creates a separate partition from which Windows can be started, while Mac OS X is shut down, thus Windows runs natively and uses all the available hardware resources.

Parallels Desktop offers to run a virtual machine, that is created from the Boot Camp Windows installation.
    It will not offer full hardware resources though, as Mac OS X is running too, as it needs to be running to even start Parallels Desktop.

But as far as I can remember, Parallels offers to use both CPU cores and more than 2GB RAM. You have to take a look at the settings.

[​IMG]
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/26816.htm

[​IMG]
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22626.htm

3. PseudoScifi macrumors newbie

I agree with spinnerlys. He got it spot on. I happen to use both. For gaming, I reboot into bootcamp. For low resource applications and low-level work, I just use parallels. However, you can edit the settings in parallels to use more system resources, but it is generally better to just reboot if you are going use a lot of resources.

4. tigereat thread starter macrumors regular

THanks for the reply . I know what you said but regarding to the advertisement link it said "Parallels Desktop works with Boot Camp to give you more possibilities for running Windows on a Mac. Use the Boot Camp partition as a bootable volume disk in Parallels Desktop to run high-performance PC-only software at full speed in a Mac’s native hardware environment, access all of your system settings, peripheral devices, files and folders in your Parallels Desktop virtual machine. "

It seems to me Parallels Deasktop allows me to run high-performance PC-only software at full speed on my iMac

Maybe I misunderstood.

I have only 4Gm of Ram and the Parallels doesn't allow me the give the visual Windows 7 more than 2GB, if I have 8 GB I can give them more.
    Don't know Why?