Use both Blackberry & iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigdaddymac, Feb 13, 2011.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm an iPhone user, ATT contract up in 4 month. Wife also on plan, with iPhone.

Just got a new job & have to get a blackberry for work (I can buy from any US carrier - TMobile is only one carrying newest Bold 9780, so considering that one).

Questions: anyone carry both iPhone (pleasure) and Blackberry (work)? If so, do you find it practical or a headache?

I could drop the iPhone and save some $$$, as work will pay for my blackberry. However, I love using the iPhone, and hate to give it up.

Anyone have any experience here they can share? Looking to see if it's practical to keep both, and if so, what's the best way to handle.

Thanks!

2. patp Guest

blackberry user for years. I love the iphone but miss the functionality of the BB.
    I would def keep the both the iphone and BB. You need the BB for work so no question about that. The iPhone you will kick yourself for not keeping one on hand.

3. nStyle macrumors 65816

4. elistan macrumors 6502a

I recently got a Blackberry Bold for work. I forward all calls to my iPhone, and rarely carry the BB around.

5. patp Guest

some companies give their employees bb as standard protocol. the it department probably has all the enterprise severs set up for BB's.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Either they don't turn on ActiveSync or they like to give their employees phones to make calls on.

7. nStyle macrumors 65816

Oh, I missed the point where he said work is going to pay for it.

8. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Add me 2 this idea also. Work gave me BB w/BES and it's plugged into the wall charger and all telephone calls are forwarded to my iP. Carrying two smart phones is an organizational train wreck.

The only reason we still use RIM products is B/C they are free. My administration all use Apple products.

9. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, this is the reason I have to get the blackberry.

10. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Great idea to just forward calls to the iPhone. But what about your emails? Do you carry the blackberry with you for email usage or are you also forwarding those to the iPhone?

11. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

From what I understand, without having to download third party apps, iPhones e-mail capability is small. You can't compose or reply to an e-mail and attach files on your iPhone. This is where the Blackberry shines.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP,

I've done the iPhone and Blackberry thing for 3 1/2 years on going now.

In my opinion, it's the best of both worlds.

The iphone is the best "multimedia phone/pda device" hands down. But....

The blackberry is probably still the best email/texting device (if you love physical keyboards). Plus I still believe the blackberry has one of the best RF (antenna) reception whereas the iPhone lacks in that department.

I've owned the Curve, Bold 9000, and Bold 9700 to go alone with my iphone, iphone 3g/3gs/ and now iPhone 4.

I have both Tmobile and ATT service. I pay for my own cell service (actually my brother and I add each other to one another's family plans so I mainly have ATT and I add iphone to for him and in return he adds blackberry to his Tmobile service).

I travel internationally 3-4 times a year. And Tmobile has the cheapest blackberry email only (not internet) but email only package PLUS UMA is awesome overseas because I can make free wifi calls back to the USA.

I am a phone junkie and also have my Samsung Vibrant (that gets 3G with both ATT and Tmobile, the only Android phone that I know of that gets 3G with both carriers).

So I highly recommend blackberry and iphone as a 2 phone system. There is no one perfect phone. I use my blackberry for emails/texting and making important phone calls. I still hate "talking" on the iphone 4 because of the sensor issues (this is a well known problem because of the way they put the sensor next to the front camera).

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Look I am not trying to incite a blackberry vs iphone thread.

But one of the benefits of carrying both blackberry and iphones is your battery life. Having 2 phones, especially the blackberry, you can literally go almost 3 days of "heavy" blackberry email/texting/calling before it dies. This gives you free time to "play" on the iphone.

14. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i carry both. BB for work and iPhone for myself.

For one, the BB is for work. SO, they get the bill and can have records of everything you've done on it.

I'd rather keep my personal life separate from work. I'd never ditch the iPhone for the BB...it just offers so much more. :)

good luck in your decision.

15. alecgold, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

You can reply to mails with attachments, you can forward emails with attachments and you can send files with attachments. I'm not sure how long this is possible, but I think most of it was possible with 3.0 and certainly with 4.0
    And it's not an email program if you can't compose an email. That would be just an email-reader and I never heard something like that.

I can do two days on my iphone, I usually am left with around 55-65% of power, but never the less I charge it every night. Why do people make such a problem of needing to charge it every night? It's not like all those people don't have a socket next to their nightstand?!
    If I'm out and away of a power-socket (and not being able to charge it in the car) I usually don't have any 3G available, so I turn of BT 3G and WiFi and my iphone suddenly runs for 5-7 days in a row. Not a world record, but long enough for me. If I need longer I'm really far away from civilization and I turn if off and enjoy the digital silence...

One more thing, almost three days on your phone means you're left with a brick somewhere on the third day... What use is a phone that stops working during the day? So the BB gets two day's, just like my iPhone (which doesn't say an iPhone would last two days in your hands :) )

Back on topic, OP, if the iphone can't collect/send all the emails for your work, there isn't much left than using the BB. The only thing I would try to do is to get you're private mail on the BB, if your employer respects your privacy. If they don't you could use both phones (which I would dislike a lot) or leave the BB charging in the car (if you drive to and from work) after work and change to the iPhone. And reverse it the next morning. Still not very handy and not what I like to do, but those are the solutions I can find.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I know several people who do the Blackberry/iPhone thing.
    For email and texting Blackberry is generally better. Multimedia lets face it blackberry sucks at it.

But one big advantage that others are leaving out is your work cell is separate from your personal cell phone. This means when you go home or on vacation you can turn off the work cell phone a not be bother by work calls. People who really need to get a hold of you know that you have a personal line still on you or any other event that comes up you still have a personal line.

It keeps the words a bit more separates. I figure work phone while at work would be on me. I know when I had a job my personal cell phone was just stored in my desk with my car keys while I was at work.

17. jacollins macrumors 6502a

I've got a BB for work and iPhone for personal. I don't really find it an issue. The BB is mainly for e-mail/calendar (ties into corporate Exchange system). I can access it with the iPhone (webmail) but it is a bit of a pain in the butt.

While I can do voice on the BB, I usually do it on my iPhone. I have a boatload of rollover minutes to run through, and I don't have to do itemized expense reports like I do if I make the calls on the Blackberry. Your mileage may vary on that.

My BB lasts 4 or 5 days on a charge, the iPhone a couple days at best. I also have a boatload of podcasts/music on the iPhone to listen to. I think that is a bit of a gray area on a corporate phone for the licensed music (since the company owns it and you don't). Legal department here doesn't want any personal music on the computers to avoid any possibility of getting sued.

18. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i say cancel the iphone plan and use it like an ipod touch to save some cash