Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
I have been doing time machine backups to a usb hard drive directly connected to my macbook pro. Today I bought a time capsule that I intend use for local backups.

Can I occasionally change the time machine settings to use the USB drive (once a month maybe) connected to the MBP, and then go back to the time capsule for daily use? I know they won't be in sync or anything, it just gives me another copy on another drive. When I switch, will it backup just the changes relative to that target drive and not start completely over?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yes, you can just change the settings in System Preferences -> Time Machine. You could also use another utility to do the backups to the external, like Carbon Copy Cloner, which would give you a bootable backup, might be nice as your second backup.

jW

waynep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Yes, you can just change the settings in System Preferences -> Time Machine. You could also use another utility to do the backups to the external, like Carbon Copy Cloner, which would give you a bootable backup, might be nice as your second backup.

jW

Yea just remembered about Carbon Copy Cloner. I am going to do Time Machine to the Time Capsule and CCC to the USB drive. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.