Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Hi,

I am interesting on this computer due to the screen and its solid built and its features (I expect it can last 4-5 years). Anyone has use case, what this macbook use for, other than for video & image editing? If so, how this laptop fit your needs and why? This laptop may be too powerful for my usage, but Apple didnt release 14" laptop other than this. Currently I used MBA, for my grad school and data analytics (R, WPS).

Thanks!

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Sounds like you are trying to find a reason to justify getting one.

If your current MBA is working for you, and you don't actually have a need to upgrade, then it is a want, not a need.

Of course, it is up to you whether you are prepared to spend a significant amount of money because you want it (which is fine), or whether you have other priorities.

My only thought is: it's just a computer, albeit with a shiny new screen. There will be another shiny computer released next year, and the years after that. The thrill of something new and shiny wears off pretty quickly. I suggest wait a month and see if you still really want it.

My use case: most of the time, my wife uses it for things like email, browsing, crafts design software, online classes and meetings, for which it is totally overkill. But I use it when in the field or traveling for photo editing (Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.) and some specialized engineering design software. At home/work, I use a 27" iMac (much better than a laptop).

Last edited:

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
The power over the MBA is mainly for video and graphics creation. If you have an MBA and it fits your use case, keep it until you need more power.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for suggestions. Now I have Intel MBA (2019) 8GB/512GB where the battery runs quite fast. I like to pick M1 MBA for replacement but if I choose 16GB (for better future support) with 512GB SSD, the price is already closed to 14" MBP (about $300 difference). Therefore, I try to justify this extra cash (you are correct, thanks!). In my use case, the bigger and better screen (plus better battery) is the plus for 14", but I am still considering whether those are worth the money.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I like to pick M1 MBA for replacement but if I choose 16GB (for better future support) with 512GB SSD, the price is already closed to 14" MBP (about $300 difference)
Actually if you are in a grad school, then 16/512 Air is $1259(7 core gpu)-$1329(8 core gpu). Base 14" is $1850. That is like $520 difference + tax if you live in taxable state = $550? Are you sure that this difference is worth it for the 1 inch screen increase?

Reactions: Isamilis

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Hi,

I am interesting on this computer due to the screen and its solid built and its features (I expect it can last 4-5 years). Anyone has use case, what this macbook use for, other than for video & image editing? If so, how this laptop fit your needs and why? This laptop may be too powerful for my usage, but Apple didnt release 14" laptop other than this. Currently I used MBA, for my grad school and data analytics (R, WPS).

Thanks!

My use case is as for network administration/hobby development. Stuff I run:

Onedrive
Office 365
Microsoft Remote Desktop
Kypass
3 different browsers
Wireshark
Terminal sessions (ssh)
Serial
Xcode
Visual Studio Code
Affinity Photo
Affinity Designer
Zoom
Skype for Business
Teams
Facetime

CPU wise its overkill for what I do for work, but the screen and speakers are worth it.

Also, it runs light gaming pretty well. Baldurs Gate 3 runs on it pretty well with zero fan noise.

If your MBA is an intel machine (edit: it is), I'd say go ahead and jump if you're looking for an excuse. I upgraded from an intel 2020 MBA which was a dog of a machine IMHO (my 10.5" iPad Pro was more responsive), this thing is so much faster for my workload, its ridiculous.

The intel MBA was constantly making a heap of noise, sluggish, etc. This thing just cranks through anything I throw at it like its nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isamilis

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Use case ??"

Hmmm....
"I like it"
"I can afford it"
"I want it"
"I'll find something to do with it".

Works for me...

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Thanks for suggestions. Now I have Intel MBA (2019) 8GB/512GB where the battery runs quite fast. I like to pick M1 MBA for replacement but if I choose 16GB (for better future support) with 512GB SSD, the price is already closed to 14" MBP (about $300 difference). Therefore, I try to justify this extra cash (you are correct, thanks!). In my use case, the bigger and better screen (plus better battery) is the plus for 14", but I am still considering whether those are worth the money.
The MBA is expected to be updated in 2022, also. Something else to consider. I know, there is always another new model on the horizon.
At this point in time, I would either wait for the new MBA (if I could), or get the 14".

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I got the 1GB 14inch model and I don’t intend to use it for any video or photo editing whatsoever. I got because I wanted the slightly bigger and better quality screen over the 13 inch models, the extra ports and the new design. I use it for personal research, word processing and acting as a backup computer for my work laptop which is always breaking down.

Just get what you like and don’t worry so much about how a device is marketed. When it comes to Apple half the time they call something “pro” to boost the ego of the purchaser.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I got the 1GB 14inch model and I don’t intend to use it for any video or photo editing whatsoever. I got because I wanted the slightly bigger and better quality screen over the 13 inch models, the extra ports and the new design. I use it for personal research, word processing and acting as a backup computer for my work laptop which is always breaking down.

Just get what you like and don’t worry so much about how a device is marketed. When it comes to Apple half the time they call something “pro” to boost the ego of the purchaser.
I agree, don't take the "Pro" police too seriously.
But just realize that you may not be taking advantage of some capabilities for which you are paying extra. Like buying a 4 wheel drive car and never taking it off road or in the snow. It is perfectly OK to buy it simply because you like the seats.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks everyone for comments and feedbacks. Finally I bought iPad M1 and keep using existing MBA. I found my real concern is screen and I need to read a lot of documents. I may upgrade the MBA in next cycle.

asohal

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
My use case is as for network administration/hobby development. Stuff I run:

Onedrive
Office 365
Microsoft Remote Desktop
Kypass
3 different browsers
Wireshark
Terminal sessions (ssh)
Serial
Xcode
Visual Studio Code
Affinity Photo
Affinity Designer
Zoom
Skype for Business
Teams
Facetime

CPU wise its overkill for what I do for work, but the screen and speakers are worth it.

Also, it runs light gaming pretty well. Baldurs Gate 3 runs on it pretty well with zero fan noise.

If your MBA is an intel machine (edit: it is), I'd say go ahead and jump if you're looking for an excuse. I upgraded from an intel 2020 MBA which was a dog of a machine IMHO (my 10.5" iPad Pro was more responsive), this thing is so much faster for my workload, its ridiculous.

The intel MBA was constantly making a heap of noise, sluggish, etc. This thing just cranks through anything I throw at it like its nothing.
Interested in finding out how is your 14” battery life running these apps? I had to return mine and resprted to 16”, battery life is azing but its just humongous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.