Use Case - In the market

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kdm0505, Aug 14, 2017.

1. kdm0505 macrumors member

I have a 2013 Macbook Air 128/8 which is 1.3GHz and I'm in the market for a new laptop. The GeekBench scores are around Single Core 2500 and Dual Core 4500. Performance-wise it is meeting my needs but I beat it up pretty good.

I've been considering 2 models nTB MB Pro 256/8 and Macbook Air (mostly due to low price). Now I'm considering the 2017 256/8 m3 1.2GHz rMB due to form factor and feel like MB Pro would be overkill. I really like the concept of a small laptop and even though I never owned it, the 11" MB Air looked really cool.

One port does not matter to me at all. I'd just need one Apple adapter with VGA, USB, USB-C. Only thing I ever plug into it other than power supply is Logitech Unifying Receiver and VGA for the external monitor. And both of these are only plugged in when I'm docked up and working. When I'm lounging around I don't use wireless mouse / keyboard etc and wouldn't need anything besides the power supply.

The most intensive thing I do is run Citrix DaaS for work which allows me to remote in to work. Everything else is just streaming Netflix, browsing the web, standard MS Office programs.

The only thing that concerns me is the 1.2GHz processor and the small screen as I use it as a second monitor.

How will the performance of the processor match up to my MB Air?

How is the experience when using the 12" screen as a second monitor when working?

2. smacx macrumors newbie

The performance will be much better than your MacBook Air. It‘s not only about the processor but also about the ssd, the ram the throuput of the system. You won‘t be disappointed.
    Abou the screen i bet you will be very happy as well because you will get a retina screen which means that you can scale the content up to a point where you see much more on screen that with your MBA. And the screen is so much better that the crappy MBA screen.

I‘d suggest to go to a store and check them out.